
Even though we woke up at 5:30 this morning...it was an exciting adventure getting ready for our hike across the landslide. We packed up our travel backpacks, thanked our friends at the hostel and headed across the landslide. It was a foggy morning but it was the perfect temperature for hiking.
It was fun at first... then my whole foot submerged in watery mud. I was so glad the natives helped us because I know they saved me (and my camera) from qui

te a few wipe outs. They were very friendly- I was happy that Jesse gave them toys, a school kit & blanket.

After we all made it safely across, we took buses to a city called Coban. There we ate sweet bread and chocobananos for breakfast...my favorite meal that I could eat every day. Then we hopped on a bus to La Tinta!
When I got in, they asked me if I wanted a good seat to take pictures, so of course, I said yes! After awhile though, I realized it was not a good choice. I didn't really have a seat at all, more like a

small wooden plank by the window that fit only half my butt...not too comfortable. Then the door boy made the driver stop after about 30 minutes. He then proceeded to make the native in the front give me his front seat. I didn't realize how nice it was until I turned around and saw everyone else was crammed in the back, with natives sleeping on them and sweat dripping everywhere. My seat kept me super cool because I had my own window to roll down. And it was amazing for pictures too.
It felt so nice to FIN

ALLY arrive in La Tinta!! Although it was a neat little town... it was SO hot. My whole body felt slimy and nasty. Then we walked really far with our heavy packs to get to the hospital. We were all dripping with sweat...everyone was complaining, especially the people who grew up in Utah because they weren't used to the humidity. But I will admit...it was WAY worse than Ohio humidity! We were really grateful when the hospital gave us free drinks. I tried a drink called Lift- it was so yummy and tasted kind of like Fresca, my favorite soda. Then while we were relaxing, I looked around and saw all

of the people waiting for hospital treatment. It was so sad to see the conditions, especially for the sick children. It made me so grateful for the hospital care in America, and it also made me happy that we were able to bring an ambulance to La Tinta.
The most exciting and surprising part of our trip was when we arrived at our hotel. The mayor and hospital paid for us to stay in a

hotel that also provided meals. It super nice! Chris and I got our own breezy, bamboo room that didn't even have too many spiders. All we found was a giant moth. But best of all, we had our own shower!!!

But it wasn't just the nice hotel that was surprised me... when we pulled into the driveway, someone yelled, "I see a monkey! No wait... 2 monkeys!" I squealed and pushed to get out... I couldn't wait to see. But it wasn't just any monkey- it was a nice pet spider monkey, named Poncho. We took tons of fun pictures and he even pulled my braids and stole my headband. He was quite the trouble-maker. They also had a lemur-looking monkey, a pet alligator, a badger, peacocks & several snapping turtles.
The meals were delicious, especially our lunch of carne

asada, beans, tortillas (not so much the plaintains), but there was a yummy drink called hermika- that tasted like fruity pomegranate juice. After eating, we presented the ambulance to the mayor and a small number of people.

Then the city rewarded us with an evening at a private pool! Yes- we actually went swimming in a real pool! No one was expected that. It felt so refreshing, especially since we were so sweaty. Then we made plans for village teaching and building at the school. I got assigned the lesson of hand sanitization.

Funny story: while at the hospital, I really wanted to take a picture of this cute Guatemala girl jumping rope. She said no and ran away but kept coming back and hiding. I found an American dollar in my pocket and told her I would give her $1 for "Uno foto." She still said no! But then her brother got really excited and said he would. So I couldn't say no. He was a cute kid and I'm pretty sure we made his day. I just hope he kept it and didn't give the dollar to his parents.
Our dinner that night was...no surprise: eggs and beans. This is their customary food and they often eat it for both breakfast and dinner. I ended up drinking lots of soda while staying at this hotel because it was complimentary and super cold and delicious: Sprite, Grape and Orange Fanta, Coke, Roja cream soda and Lift were our choices....and I loved all of them. Chris really loved the papas frites (french fries) and was always ordered at least 2 or 3 plates- I'm pretty sure they saved him from starvation.
No comments:
Post a Comment