I know I have A LOT of catching up to do. I have been absent from the blogging world for more than a month now. It was hard because I kept on wanting to write but I wasn't sure where to start.
Basically, we have spent the last 30 days backpacking through Europe. But before that, we finished up a 13-week internship in Belgium, which also deserves its own post. I feel like there is so much to stay, but I don't feel like saying anything because it's so overwhelming. There are so many stories...and SO many photos!! So I think I'm going to take the easy way and just share the highlights.
Maybe if I feel motivated, I'll get into more details/travel advice in a later post - or do some back blogging. We'll see. I've finally caught up with my "Photo-A-Day" blog if you want to see some of my favorite pictures from our travels. I only have a few months left, so I can't fail the challenge now.
During our time in Europe, we visited 12 different countries (13 if you count the Vatican City as a country, because we recently learned that it is? Weird.) Anyway, we also learned some new phrases in French, Dutch, German, Italian & Greek (sort of - it's super tricky).
At one point, we were both sick of traveling/Europe and wanted to come home (yes, even me! surprising, I know). And then we got over this little "hump" and adapted quite well to the new lifestyle. I even adjusted to living out of a backpack and having to repeat outfits. By the end of our trip, I was actually rejuvenated and we almost gave in to a spontaneous desire to fly to Thailand and keep traveling...but I think we'll save that for later.
During our 5 months abroad, I fell in love with European architecture, ancient culture and most of all - the food! I never thought about it before, but a lot of American food is just an adapted version of European food. Italian pizza, French fries, Greek pitas, Swiss chocolate, Turkish Kebab, German pretzel-bread... just to name a few :)
We were so happy to be able to visit family and friends in Germany and Switzerland - it was really special to meet them and practice a little bit of our German skills too.
Overall, living in Europe taught us so much about the world. We learned about the economy, different cultures and all the do's an dont's of traveling. It was an amazing experience and I'm so happy I finally had the chance to fulfill my dream of living (not just traveling) abroad. If you get the chance - DO IT.
If you're anything like me, living abroad will be a (super fun), eye-opening experience that in the end will remind you just how much you appreciate, love and belong in America.
And on that happy American note...we are back! and homeless. Our fun adventures have come to an end and I know our lives are changing and will never be the same. We've jumped from students, to interns, to backpackers and are now transitioning into the "grown-up," full-time salary job stage. I like the idea that we have no commitment or expectations right now, but at the same time it's a little scary.
We have a lot of big decisions ahead of us (medical school? career? babies? car? home?) that will greatly impact our future. I just have to keep reminding myself not to stress too much or rush through life. I want to enjoy every phase of our lives and treasure each moment.
Basically, we have spent the last 30 days backpacking through Europe. But before that, we finished up a 13-week internship in Belgium, which also deserves its own post. I feel like there is so much to stay, but I don't feel like saying anything because it's so overwhelming. There are so many stories...and SO many photos!! So I think I'm going to take the easy way and just share the highlights.
Maybe if I feel motivated, I'll get into more details/travel advice in a later post - or do some back blogging. We'll see. I've finally caught up with my "Photo-A-Day" blog if you want to see some of my favorite pictures from our travels. I only have a few months left, so I can't fail the challenge now.
During our time in Europe, we visited 12 different countries (13 if you count the Vatican City as a country, because we recently learned that it is? Weird.) Anyway, we also learned some new phrases in French, Dutch, German, Italian & Greek (sort of - it's super tricky).
At one point, we were both sick of traveling/Europe and wanted to come home (yes, even me! surprising, I know). And then we got over this little "hump" and adapted quite well to the new lifestyle. I even adjusted to living out of a backpack and having to repeat outfits. By the end of our trip, I was actually rejuvenated and we almost gave in to a spontaneous desire to fly to Thailand and keep traveling...but I think we'll save that for later.
During our 5 months abroad, I fell in love with European architecture, ancient culture and most of all - the food! I never thought about it before, but a lot of American food is just an adapted version of European food. Italian pizza, French fries, Greek pitas, Swiss chocolate, Turkish Kebab, German pretzel-bread... just to name a few :)
We were so happy to be able to visit family and friends in Germany and Switzerland - it was really special to meet them and practice a little bit of our German skills too.
Overall, living in Europe taught us so much about the world. We learned about the economy, different cultures and all the do's an dont's of traveling. It was an amazing experience and I'm so happy I finally had the chance to fulfill my dream of living (not just traveling) abroad. If you get the chance - DO IT.
If you're anything like me, living abroad will be a (super fun), eye-opening experience that in the end will remind you just how much you appreciate, love and belong in America.
We have a lot of big decisions ahead of us (medical school? career? babies? car? home?) that will greatly impact our future. I just have to keep reminding myself not to stress too much or rush through life. I want to enjoy every phase of our lives and treasure each moment.
Well said. I was great to see you for a few minutes on Sunday. I hope we can get together so you can tell me all the "do's and don'ts" of traveling abroad. Can't wait to see where you guys end up next :)
ReplyDeleteYou totally should have went to Thailand. Best country in the world to visit. This time of year is not the best because they are having horrible flooding but in January it is nice.
ReplyDelete