When I hear the words "convicted felon" - my mind instantly jumps to the worst: murderers, rapists, kidnappers, drug dealers... you know - all the "bad" people in the world who deserve to "rot in jail."
But what I don't stop to realize is that those "convicted felons" are also sons, fathers, husbands, friends and brothers. Yes, they committed a crime. But that's not who they are. That's something they did. I guess it's all just semantics. But maybe they did a lot of other sweet, kind, wonderful, funny things in their life too. Maybe they messed up, just one time. Maybe in a moment of weakness they did one. bad. thing. And now for the rest of their life, they will be labeled according to that one act.
I've messed up plenty of times. We all have. I'm thankful I haven't been labeled publicly according to my sins. But others are not quite so lucky.
You may be a bit confused. You may wonder why I'm going on a rant about criminals. And to be honest, my mind probably wouldn't be spinning around this topic, except for the fact that...
My brother is now a convicted felon.
He's not a bad person. He made one mistake (or at least the judge thinks he did) and will now be spending the next 10 years of his life in prison.
My heart feels heavy and sad. That's my brother they're convicting. The boy who dominated Super Mario Brothers, played basketball, watched the Simpsons or Prince of Bel Air, and was always cracking witty jokes...
And now? Prison.
I never really thought about it before. Your life and freedom are taken from you. It really is a punishment. Day after day, you're stuck in the same place, behind bars, confined... while the world goes on without you. I can imagine it being especially painful for people who enjoy life, work hard at their job and have relationships with family and friends. Everything that you love is taken away.
Ten Years from now - it will be 2023. I will be 34 years old. It could be worse, people tell me. It could be 20 years. But that doesn't really change how I feel.
My brother is going to prison. And that makes me the sister of a convicted felon.
I want to have hope for him and his future. Things will be alright. Things will work out somehow. We will get past it. Our family will make it through everything, together. I don't know if I believe myself. But I want to.
But what I don't stop to realize is that those "convicted felons" are also sons, fathers, husbands, friends and brothers. Yes, they committed a crime. But that's not who they are. That's something they did. I guess it's all just semantics. But maybe they did a lot of other sweet, kind, wonderful, funny things in their life too. Maybe they messed up, just one time. Maybe in a moment of weakness they did one. bad. thing. And now for the rest of their life, they will be labeled according to that one act.
I've messed up plenty of times. We all have. I'm thankful I haven't been labeled publicly according to my sins. But others are not quite so lucky.
You may be a bit confused. You may wonder why I'm going on a rant about criminals. And to be honest, my mind probably wouldn't be spinning around this topic, except for the fact that...
My brother is now a convicted felon.
He's not a bad person. He made one mistake (or at least the judge thinks he did) and will now be spending the next 10 years of his life in prison.
My heart feels heavy and sad. That's my brother they're convicting. The boy who dominated Super Mario Brothers, played basketball, watched the Simpsons or Prince of Bel Air, and was always cracking witty jokes...
And now? Prison.
I never really thought about it before. Your life and freedom are taken from you. It really is a punishment. Day after day, you're stuck in the same place, behind bars, confined... while the world goes on without you. I can imagine it being especially painful for people who enjoy life, work hard at their job and have relationships with family and friends. Everything that you love is taken away.
Ten Years from now - it will be 2023. I will be 34 years old. It could be worse, people tell me. It could be 20 years. But that doesn't really change how I feel.
My brother is going to prison. And that makes me the sister of a convicted felon.
I want to have hope for him and his future. Things will be alright. Things will work out somehow. We will get past it. Our family will make it through everything, together. I don't know if I believe myself. But I want to.
Deep and insightful ... situations often are multi-sided and you pointed this out skillfully. Very heart-felt. Thanks for sharing, dear Nati.
ReplyDelete