So I took a break from blogging for about 6 months.
And by took a break, I mean was so busy I completely forgot about it...
I'm trying to catch up now. At least so I can finish the project I started of documenting the baby's first year.
Can I tell you something? Being a wife / mom / Google photographer / portrait photographer / freelance graphic designer / marketing consultant / Young Women's leader really does make a person's brain turn into a whirlwind of dizzy mush some days. And it also explains my lack of housekeeper skills. Seriously though. Sometimes I walk through the door after being out for awhile and for a second I think, "Oh no! Someone broke in and vandalized our home!" And then I'm like, "Hah. Nevermind. It's just the aftermath of my slightly unsupervised 16-month-old baby."
Speaking of him. He's 16-months! In the past months since I posted, he has definitely grown into a toddler and is no longer a baby. It makes me sad sometimes. But he still gladly gives me open-mouth kisses right on the mouth, so I'm ok with it.
He RUNS everywhere, full-speed. This often results in face-planting wipeouts. But it's amazing how little he cries. About 95% of the time, he pops right back up and is back running before I can even kiss his boo-boos.
He says half words! His firsts were "Dah" (dad), "Daw" (dog), "Duh" (duck). Can you tell he loves the letter D? haha. He says a few other words too, like "ah" (eye), "ya" (yes) and "ha" (hot). When we ask him if he wants to eat, go outside, or go on a bike ride, he says, "Ya!" (in a super excited voice & then starts panting & runs to his highchair or the door.) Occasionally I'll get a "mum" when he's super tired or whiney. He definitely understands a lot and I can tell he is just soaking everything in.
He LOVES books, animals, throwing everything, his bubble mower, straws, the broom, Daniel the Tiger, riding toys, swimming, swings, slides & climbing onto everything! One day he climbed up to the back of the couch (where there is a window that connects to the kitchen) and climbed through the window and onto the stove. Luckily I was in the kitchen and the stove was off! He is extremely wild. Or maybe adventurous is a better word? He also likes to stand on the arms of the couch and then jump off onto the cushions. This results in about 10 timeouts per day. So hopefully that pays off eventually?
He's starting to be more of a selective eater, depending on the day. He still loves all fruit, most vegetables, bagels, cheese sticks, and any type of cracker. He also loves tomatoes, much to his dad's dismay.
He went on a 4,368-mile road trip through 11 states this summer. It was mainly for our business but we included a few fun pitstops along the way like Niagara Falls, the Northeast coast (his first beach), his grandparent's house in CT, his cousin's house in VA + his first Cafe Rio, the Outer Banks, his friend Spencer's house, and lastly, Asheville & the Blue Ridge Mountains. We had some hard times, he got diarrhea for a fews days & an infection from sucking his thumb, but overall he was a really great traveler.
I've had some questionable mom moments that have been really difficult to endure. The worst was when we were playing in an open field, and then I turned around and saw a mushroom in his hand and what looked like traces of it on his lips. Have you ever Googled poisonous mushrooms? Liver damage. Kidney failure. Respiratory failure. Loss of limbs. Death. It's terrifying. We spent countless hours on the phone with Poison Control, our pediatrician, and frantically browsing through Google images. It was miserable. Especially because I was watching him and was completely to blame. I felt like the worst mom in the world and just kept praying that he would be okay. Luckily for us, it either wasn't poisonous or he didn't eat it. Either way, I am so grateful!! I am also way more observant of the grass fields and yards we play in. Because this wasn't a forest meadow, it was the backyard of a nursing home and apparently poisonous mushrooms DO grow in the urban lawns. So beware!
My second major #momfail was more recently, when we were playing outside and Cal was getting in and out of his new push car. I was putting things away in the garage and when I turned around, I briefly saw him standing on top of his push car and then he fell face first, right on the concrete. He cried for a minute or so, had some blood on his lip and chin but seemed ok. Later, I realized that he chipped part of his front tooth. I was so devastated. I felt so guilty that I wasn't there to catch him, or help him, or watch him more closely. I was also extremely grateful he didn't hit his head and need stitches or something worse. But that little chip will always be a reminder to pay closer attention! ...At least until it falls out and his permanent teeth come in :)
Speaking of teeth, he now has four on the bottom, four on top AND... molars are coming in. This has been his whiniest / worst napping / worst behaving phase yet. I hope it's over soon! And since the crazy kid is finally asleep, I'm going to attempt to tackle my never-ending checklist. I'll also attempt to blog more often than every 6 months... but don't count on it ;)
And by took a break, I mean was so busy I completely forgot about it...
I'm trying to catch up now. At least so I can finish the project I started of documenting the baby's first year.
Can I tell you something? Being a wife / mom / Google photographer / portrait photographer / freelance graphic designer / marketing consultant / Young Women's leader really does make a person's brain turn into a whirlwind of dizzy mush some days. And it also explains my lack of housekeeper skills. Seriously though. Sometimes I walk through the door after being out for awhile and for a second I think, "Oh no! Someone broke in and vandalized our home!" And then I'm like, "Hah. Nevermind. It's just the aftermath of my slightly unsupervised 16-month-old baby."
Speaking of him. He's 16-months! In the past months since I posted, he has definitely grown into a toddler and is no longer a baby. It makes me sad sometimes. But he still gladly gives me open-mouth kisses right on the mouth, so I'm ok with it.
He RUNS everywhere, full-speed. This often results in face-planting wipeouts. But it's amazing how little he cries. About 95% of the time, he pops right back up and is back running before I can even kiss his boo-boos.
He says half words! His firsts were "Dah" (dad), "Daw" (dog), "Duh" (duck). Can you tell he loves the letter D? haha. He says a few other words too, like "ah" (eye), "ya" (yes) and "ha" (hot). When we ask him if he wants to eat, go outside, or go on a bike ride, he says, "Ya!" (in a super excited voice & then starts panting & runs to his highchair or the door.) Occasionally I'll get a "mum" when he's super tired or whiney. He definitely understands a lot and I can tell he is just soaking everything in.
He LOVES books, animals, throwing everything, his bubble mower, straws, the broom, Daniel the Tiger, riding toys, swimming, swings, slides & climbing onto everything! One day he climbed up to the back of the couch (where there is a window that connects to the kitchen) and climbed through the window and onto the stove. Luckily I was in the kitchen and the stove was off! He is extremely wild. Or maybe adventurous is a better word? He also likes to stand on the arms of the couch and then jump off onto the cushions. This results in about 10 timeouts per day. So hopefully that pays off eventually?
He's starting to be more of a selective eater, depending on the day. He still loves all fruit, most vegetables, bagels, cheese sticks, and any type of cracker. He also loves tomatoes, much to his dad's dismay.
He went on a 4,368-mile road trip through 11 states this summer. It was mainly for our business but we included a few fun pitstops along the way like Niagara Falls, the Northeast coast (his first beach), his grandparent's house in CT, his cousin's house in VA + his first Cafe Rio, the Outer Banks, his friend Spencer's house, and lastly, Asheville & the Blue Ridge Mountains. We had some hard times, he got diarrhea for a fews days & an infection from sucking his thumb, but overall he was a really great traveler.
I've had some questionable mom moments that have been really difficult to endure. The worst was when we were playing in an open field, and then I turned around and saw a mushroom in his hand and what looked like traces of it on his lips. Have you ever Googled poisonous mushrooms? Liver damage. Kidney failure. Respiratory failure. Loss of limbs. Death. It's terrifying. We spent countless hours on the phone with Poison Control, our pediatrician, and frantically browsing through Google images. It was miserable. Especially because I was watching him and was completely to blame. I felt like the worst mom in the world and just kept praying that he would be okay. Luckily for us, it either wasn't poisonous or he didn't eat it. Either way, I am so grateful!! I am also way more observant of the grass fields and yards we play in. Because this wasn't a forest meadow, it was the backyard of a nursing home and apparently poisonous mushrooms DO grow in the urban lawns. So beware!
My second major #momfail was more recently, when we were playing outside and Cal was getting in and out of his new push car. I was putting things away in the garage and when I turned around, I briefly saw him standing on top of his push car and then he fell face first, right on the concrete. He cried for a minute or so, had some blood on his lip and chin but seemed ok. Later, I realized that he chipped part of his front tooth. I was so devastated. I felt so guilty that I wasn't there to catch him, or help him, or watch him more closely. I was also extremely grateful he didn't hit his head and need stitches or something worse. But that little chip will always be a reminder to pay closer attention! ...At least until it falls out and his permanent teeth come in :)
Speaking of teeth, he now has four on the bottom, four on top AND... molars are coming in. This has been his whiniest / worst napping / worst behaving phase yet. I hope it's over soon! And since the crazy kid is finally asleep, I'm going to attempt to tackle my never-ending checklist. I'll also attempt to blog more often than every 6 months... but don't count on it ;)


He is so handsome! And I already have had a couple #momfails so don't feel bad! You lasted longer than me haha.
ReplyDeleteI wondered where you had gone! So happy to see a post from you. Keep them coming. Calvin is such a handsome little guy!
ReplyDelete