I'm pretty lucky...because I naturally tend to never get angry. Irritated, frustrated, disappointed... yes. But angry? Not likely.
So on the rare occasions that I do get angry... it's explosive and uncontrollable. Ok, so maybe I could control it. But right now, I'd rather just write about it.
Today, I began a really amazing opportunity with a client for our student-run firm. I've never been so excited or so passionate about a project before...ever. In summary, it involves a company in Africa, educating people and providing jobs in an economy where 25% of people are unemployed. It's an international PR and marketing project- with the potential of a trip to South Africa. Naturally, I can't wait to get started!!
So here is where the story turns. I told someone on campus how excited I was about this project, expecting them to respond with encouragement. But all I got was a blank stare and the response, "Why would you do anything if you're not getting paid for it?"
I was speechless and deep in thought for what felt like a lifetime, until I responded, "Because I love it and it's an amazing experience." I then received another bewildered stare, looking at me as if this is the worst decision I could ever make.
At the moment, I was confused, but the more I think about it, the angrier I get. Why is everything about money? Ok, I get it... we need money to live. But honestly, does money always have to be the motivation? The things I actually enjoy the most, I don't make any money doing. I plan on choosing a career that I love, for a cause I am passionate about... not because I would get a big paycheck.
I guess what bothered me the most is that he devalued my project, like it was worth nothing, only because I wasn't being compensated monetarily. But seriously... I will learn more working on this project, then sitting at some pointless job making money. So isn't my education and experience worth something? What about the fact that I just really enjoy doing it. Isn't my love for a cause worth at least a smile of appreciation and respect?
Apparently not. I guess to some people, the only things of value in life are those that make money. Well this makes me angry and even more determined to commit my life to the things I love, the things that (currently) I don't make money doing.
So I will attempt to turn this anger into passion...a passion to accomplish great things, despite the lack of monetary reward. And this will bring me joy, because at the end of the day- true success is the happiness I feel when I follow my heart.
You go girl! I'm thinking you are going to be a lot happier in life than that monster over there.
ReplyDeleteI know how you feel. I had a conversation today with someone who was complaining about how little they get paid and how much they don't like it. The killer thing is that I would die to have a chance to do her job... For FREE! Oh well at least we have it all in perspective. I'M SUPER excited to hear all about your new project and hope a trip to South Africa comes to be! <3 you!
ReplyDeleteYay for angry posts! :) Totally agree with you. Some people spend their whole lives only pursuing money and it is a complete waste. You're life is amazing don't let anyone tell you any differently! I think that project sounds incredible and if someone can pull it off it would be you, so just give that kid the bird and prove him wrong. :) Love ya!
ReplyDeleteIf you follow your heart, you will have no regrets. And no amount of money can cover regrets ... shallow people will never understand your passion ... they do not have the capacity for it. So do not be angry with them, pity them for they are missing the rich satisfaction of purpose! Whenever we engage in something bigger than ourselves we are paid many times over those without vision. You were born for this ... use every opportunity as a stepping stone to your full potential to serve the God you love, Jesus Christ. Love forever, Mommie
ReplyDelete