Saturday, November 26, 2011

East Coast with Family

While in Connecticut, we experienced some special occasions. Christopher got to celebrate his birthday (again!) and was spoiled with some nice presents and a delicious ice cream cake.



Then we got to spend a day in New York City and took a boat trip out to Ellis Island and Liberty Island, where we got to see Lady Liberty herself! (despite the big construction project). I've never seen her up close before so I was super excited. I've always had a life goal to touch her... but since the inside is closed, I didn't get to accomplish it. Someday I'll go up inside her crown!!

Ellis Island was a neat experience because we got to learn about immigrants, hear their stories, see their heirlooms and look for the records of my ancestors. But don't picture a giant, cool-looking book. The scene from the movie Hitch is fake... you just type the names in the computer.

Unfortunately, I couldn't I find my ancestors records - my great, great grandmother came to America from Germany in the early 1900's. Her name was Anna Maria Kathrina Wuebker. Her mom actually gave birth to a little girl, Elizabeth, while she was on the boat to America. It's crazy what our ancestors went through to move to America.  After arriving in New York, they moved to Ohio to farm. They gave up almost everything they had for freedom, opportunity and to live the "American dream." I'm so grateful they did!

What bugs me is seeing people like this:

I absolutely HATE it when people are so ungrateful to live in America, and blame our government for their "misfortune." I don't know this man's story so I probably shouldn't judge him... but I'll bet if he spent a week in Sierra Leone, the Congo or Somalia, he'd be begging to come back to America. I'm not saying our government is perfect - but I think people should quit being lazy, get off those concrete steps and get a job. You live in America, idiot... quit being so ungrateful. I don't feel sorry for you and you disgust me.


Now that I'm off my rampage... Thanksgiving was great! My favorite part: playing in the morning Turkey Bowl. Chris played in the adult/competitive game and Kyle, Noah and I played in the kids/old men/less athletic game. I didn't mind though because then people actually passed me the ball. I was the best girl in the game!! Maybe because I was the only girl... haha, but that's fine with me. It was super fun and great exercise before our big Thanksgiving feast.



It has been really great to spend time with family. It was the first time in 7 years since all of Christopher's siblings have been together for Thanksgiving. And of course, I didn't forget the real meaning behind this special day. Actually this whole month on my Photo-A-Day Blog, I posted a picture of something I am grateful for. It's a great time to reflect on gratitude. But it wasn't too much different than any other day, because I usually try to remind myself of things I'm thankful for every day of the year. I'm so much happier when I remember my many blessings, instead of focusing on what I don't have. But as usual...it sounds so much easier than it actually is.

As for my future career / our future home - we're pretty close to deciding. I've had interviews and several offers - so we will see! Stay tuned :)

6 comments:

  1. Calling an obviously mentally unstable man an "idiot" isn't something I expected of someone from the church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if he is mentally unstable, but from my observations, he was completely competent. But even so, our government is the one that provides programs, shelters and centers that help people and take care of people, just like him. I've been to several other countries recently where things are a million times worse than here. So it just bugs me when people criticize the very government who helps them. They should be thanking God every day that they live in America. And it wasn't meant as a personal attack on him anyway. It was a generalization toward all people who take this country for granted. And yes, I do think they are idiots for not recognizing how lucky they are.

      Delete
  2. Look up compassion.

    https://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=5b60a41f6cc20110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=198bf4b13819d110VgnVCM1000003a94610aRCRD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, first of all... do we know each other? Or did you just happen to find my blog? I would prefer speaking to a person, not just "anonymous".

      Delete
  3. I don't know you. My name is Ryan. I found your blog looking for a picture of Stephen Covey. I also saw some great travel pictures and was envious of your obvious privileged-ness. Your comments about the homeless and now your generalizations of all homeless being idiots didn't sit right with me so I had to comment. I'll stop commenting and leave you with your naivety and vanity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ryan - honestly, you are probably right. I should have been more compassionate in this moment, because I don't know that man's story. But if you knew me at all, then you would know I am naturally a very compassionate person. I've served in many soup kitchens and homeless shelters, I volunteered my time and money to help needy people in both the U.S. and in Guatemala, I've often purchased things I don't need from desperate people selling things on the side of the street. I've also given my own money and food to beggars in the streets. There have been multiple times I have broken down into tears when I saw someone I couldn't help. So thank you, but I don't need a lesson on compassion.

    My "rant" may have been perceived incorrectly or it's possible I communicated it poorly. It was not meant to be directed toward poor, helpless, homeless, needy people. It is directed toward those who take advantage of the welfare system, blame the government, and are too lazy to work.

    There's compassion and then there is enabling. In addition to feeding people, Christ also taught men how to fish and our church also teaches self-reliance. I'm all for helping those who need it, but there are many programs out there to do so, programs that help people find food, shelter and a job.

    We have a government and many organizations across the nation that actually care about people, unlike many places in the world where there is genocide and slave labor. My point is that this country is so blessed and every single American should be grateful to live here. That's all I meant to communicate so I am sorry if I offended you. And if you read my previous comment, I clarified that the generalization wasn't toward the homeless, it was toward "people who take this country for granted."

    I also find it ironic that you are so quick to criticize and judge me, a person whom you've never met, and assume I am naive and vain. Compared to some in this world I may be "privileged" - but I've had to work for every single thing I have. I am the youngest of 13 children, daughter of a farmer. I've had a job since I was 14 and paid for all of my clothes, my needs, my college education and all of my travels, completely on my own. It was my dream and worked hard for years to save up for it. I am privileged because I live in America, yes, but nothing was handed to me if that's what you are implying.

    Again, I do apologize if I offended you, or the homeless, that wasn't my intent.

    ReplyDelete