Thursday, July 12, 2012

When Telemarketing Is A Good Thing.

The title of my post may seem random. But it's totally not.

Recently, Mitt Romney came to little, redneck, Newark, Ohio! So of course, Christopher and I got tickets. Since we didn't get out of church until 12pm and the rally started at 1pm, we had a feeling we wouldn't be getting very good seats. And we were right...sort of. When we arrived, the square was already half-filled and people (in the good spots) had been there since 9am. Now this is where the telemarketing comes in. A guy walked by and asked us if we would be willing to make a few phone calls to get a better seat. Since we still had about 40 minutes to wait anyways, we decided 'why not?'!

So we called random voters for about 20 minutes and asked them to take a "brief 4 question survey about some issues that matter to Ohio" aka: whether or not they would be voting Republican in the upcoming election. I only surveyed about 4 people total because the rest either hung up on me, didn't answer or refused to take it. Not too surprising. I definitely would not enjoy telemarketing as a career, but was totally glad we did it because as a reward we got V.I.P. passes! This meant bleacher seats right behind the stage of Mitt Romney! Except by the time we were done... the bleachers were full.


Luckily, the campaigners were super nice and instead, they let us into an even better section where we were able to stand right up against the fence AND have a great side view of the stage (way better than being behind him, I think).

It was so exciting watching Mitt and Ann come into Newark on their charter bus. The front was a giant window and we could see them smiling and waving like royalty as they drove up. Everyone was screaming, there was country music blaring... it was awesome. Plus he brought two of his sons and some of his grand kids. It was so cool to see the "family man" side of him. It made him so much more relatable. It's easy to forget that famous people are actually human. Plus of course, his whole family is adorable.


I just love Mitt Romney. His speech focused on how he would help small businesses owners pursue the American dream and how the private sector isn't "fine" like Obama claims. Romney is the best hope we have for turning this country around. And he just looks like a President... right?


During the speeches there was a group of liberal protestors shouting "we are the 99%." I found it ironic (and a really lame and pointless chant) because basically every single person at this rally was also the 99%. Duh. It's Newark, Ohio. Town of factory workers, waitresses and farmers. It wasn't a rally for millionaires. Seriously, so stupid. At least chant something that makes sense. 


Plus there were two planes flying over head. One banner said "MITT ROMNEY 2012" and then one said "MITT, WE CAN SEE THREE OF YOUR HOUSES FROM HERE." Ok. I get the point... they're trying to rag on Mitt for being extremely wealthy and having multiple homes. But what I don't get is... what's the problem with having a presidential candidate who has been successful in his life? First of all, basically every President has to be wealthy in order to get elected. Sorry, that's how the system works. Second, do you seriously want an average joe running our country? Do you want America to be mediocre? Or do you want it to be wealthy, powerful, successful and the economic leader of the world? Umm, I think I'll take the latter. I wish people would stop selfishly whining "how will our President relate to me if he is rich?" and start thinking about the economic future of our country. We need a successful businessman like Romney who understands the economy and can get this country out of debt! I'm still pretty skeptical and I'm not really sure if ANYONE can get us out of debt. But I'm willing to give him a chance! Ok. Political rant over. The secret service guys looked pretty bad-A. It was just like the movies (on rooftops, hidden in towers, everywhere!)

And now, back to the rally where... I got to meet and talk to the beautiful Ann Romney!!


And shake Mitt Romney's hand... TWICE. Once before the rally and once after. Too bad someone got his attention in the middle of my photo. Ugh. Oh well.


And here's a funny story about this moment...



Poor Christopher wasn't feeling well. It was super hot and we were standing in the sun for a few hours so he squatted down a few times to avoid passing out. Then right as Mitt Romney was about to walk by for the second time, I could tell Chris was getting worse. But me being the selfish wife I am, screamed at him to get up and take my picture. So he fought through the pain, took a few pictures of me with the Romneys, then shook Romney's hand himself (as the photo above was being taken). Then Chris turned around and literally took two steps before violently puking everywhere. It sprayed on people's shoes, their purses, on someone's poor baby in a stroller... as I'm telling this story, I'm totally laughing, but in the moment I was embarrassed / awkward. I just gave wide-eyed, red-faced "sorrys" and we quickly hurried away. We were lucky though because if it would have come 5 seconds earlier... it probably would have sprayed ALL over the Romneys. Maybe it would have made YouTube or something haha but I'm glad we'll never know. 




Anyways... it was a really neat experience that we will both remember forever.

Thanks for visiting Newark, Mitt Romney!! 

#gomittgo #romney2012

1 comment:

  1. SOOO AWESOME!! I completely agree with you on your political rant. I'm crossing my fingers for Romney. Also I died laughing when I read about poor Chris. It would have for sure made national news as someone spilling a cup of yogurt on Romney's show made the news.. poor guy!!

    ReplyDelete