This past week we went on our first yard sale adventure! This is probably one of my favorite summer activities. I just love that you never know what you might find. Even if Husband comes home with random things we don't need (like a preserved shark in a jar?!), sometimes he also comes home with awesome, useful things, like an antique wash bin photography prop for $2.
This time around wasn't super exciting, but I did find a brand new Indians baseball jersey/shirt for $1, and The Pursuit of Happyness DVD for $2.
But the best part about yard sales isn't even the great deals... it's the people you meet. Whether it's the freckle-faced first-grader, with pigtails and a backwards baseball hat trying to sell me over-priced Kool-Aide, or the middle-aged interior designer cracking jokes about Husband's relentless bartering... the people are what truly make it great.
This time, we rode the motorcycle around and while driving past one sale, a nice pair of hunting boots caught our eye. We decided to pull over. Literally as Husband was reaching down to pick up the boots, an old man swooped in, snatched up the boots, and muttered, "Beat 'cha to it!" And then let out a deep belly laugh.
My stomach sank. Just my luck! How annoying! What a rude, selfish old man, I thought.
I'm not sure if it had anything to do with Husband's disgruntled, "Yes you did!" response, or my shocked facial expression, but he then turned around and softly said, "Well, I bet they're just your size." He then handed them to Chris and said, "Give me $1 and they're yours. I've got dozens of boots, so I don't need them anyway." (Turns out he had already purchased them several minutes before we arrived and was just collecting them before leaving.)
Husband was like Cinderella as his feet slid into the boots perfectly.
The man smiled. He was honestly the sweetest old man I've ever seen in my life. Think old Clint Eastwood, with overalls, a farmer's hat, wrinkles from the sun, and a piece of straw in his mouth. By his side was a sweet little girl with braids, riding the little red tricycle he just bought her.
Still slightly embarrassed and feeling guilty for my mean thoughts, I couldn't think of anything to say. So I just handed him the dollar bill, smiled and said, "Thank you." He then tipped his hat to us and walked down the sidewalk into the sunset. And I'm not being over-dramatic. The sun rays were actually coming down through the blossoming trees, as several white petals fluttered through the air from the light breeze. The little girl was squeaking along beside him on her tricycle, smiling ear-to-ear. I honestly thought I was in the middle of a movie scene. I stood there for a minute and tried to record the moment in my mind, soaking in the beauty of it all.
Despite all the horror and evil in the world... I have been reminded that genuine kindness still exists, and it's all around us, even during the most unexpected moments.

I love this! what a nice old man!
ReplyDeleteI love your story, that's soooooooooo interesting!!!!
ReplyDelete