Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Monopoly Life

Monopoly is a great metaphor for life. 

This turn, I didn't win the free parking jackpot, or roll doubles, or build a house. 

This turn, I picked up one of those risky "Chance" cards. 

It COULD have said:
  • Take a walk on the Boardwalk  (why that sounds lovely)
  • Your building loan matures – collect $150 (woo hoo!)
  • You have won a crossword competition - collect $100 (I knew those nerdy skills would pay off!)
However, it ACTUALLY said:

Your car was vandalized. Your driver-side window was shattered by some disrespectful, stupid kids who thought it would be fun to break car windows at 11pm on a Monday night.  Do not pass Go. Pay $200. 

Yeah. 

No one likes those "Chance" cards. 

LUCKILY, we have comprehensive insurance, so the bill is only $100. But still. 

That's not exactly how I wanted to spend $100. 

It's like winning the March Madness Bracket Competition at Work Free Parking Jackpot, and then landing on Park Place, with hotels

Ugh. 

Surprisingly... they didn't actually steal anything, which I should be happy about. But at least if they would have taken the cash in my coin tray, or the GPS, I could have told myself, "They were poor and desperate and needed to feed their starving family.

But no... they were just breaking windows to cause trouble. And we weren't the only victims. They broke at least 10-15 other windows in the area. 

Well I hope the culprits draw a "Chance" card too. 

And I hope it says: "Go directly to jail – Do not pass Go, and after you're bailed out, work a minimum wage job to pay for all the windows you broke...see how fun that is." 

5 comments:

  1. haha what a great analogy! i'm sorry about your car, that's such a bummer! stupid kids...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I originally found your blog because I was searching for blogs about backpacking through Europe. After I read your entries on Europe, I read the rest (Hope that's not weird). Despite being very different people from very different parts of the country, I found myself very interested in what you had to say. I admire the relationship you have with your husband and also just you as a person. You have a very light-hearted, carefree personality...something I wish to attain.

    Anyway, I just wanted to say, despite our vast differences, you gained a reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiana,

      Wow, thank you for commenting! Totally not weird at all :) I love it! Thank you for your kind words. If you have any specific questions about Europe/backpacking, feel free to email me: nataliejoycurtis[at]gmail.com. Also, do you have a blog I could follow? I'd love to get to know you!

      Delete
    2. I do not currently have a blog, but I do plan on starting one soon to document my trip. I probably will email you with some specific questions about backpacking as they come up.

      And, i'm not sure you'd like me :) haha.

      Delete
    3. Tiana,
      You should definitely start a blog for your trip! I am surprised how many things I have forgotten when I go back and read old posts. It's wonderful to keep a record of everything. Definitely email me. haha & seriously, I have lots of friends who are very different from me! Let me know if/when you start your blog. We're going to Europe again this summer so maybe we can share travel tips!

      Delete