So you may have heard about all the issues with the healthcare.gov website. (Here's my experience from November.) And actually, if you have not heard about the issues, then you seriously must be a mole-person living in the abandoned underground subways of NYC with no access to real life.
But moving on...
Let's talk about what happens AFTER you are required to delete your application all together, create a new one, upload various documents, and finally have all your issues with the website resolved.
Wellllllll, let's be honest.... it's been weeks since I've uploaded my documents, I still haven't heard back about the status of my application, and when I went to check my profile, this happened...
Ok, but for real, I'm done complaining about website issues.
Let's focus on the actual reality of this "Affordable Care Act."
[Regardless of my political party affiliations...] I decided I would be completely open-minded about the new healthcare plan. Supposedly, it was designed for people like me: middle/working class, self-employed, preexisting pregnant condition, not poor enough to qualify for Medicaid but certainly not wealthy enough to pay a ton of money toward healthcare each month. I'll admit... I was even hopeful for what this plan could do for me and my soon to be family of 3.
Since October, I've gotten several emails directly from the White House and read multiple news articles about how Pat, Sally and Joe used to pay $1200/month and now they only pay $100! Wow. That sounds like a dream come true. There was even a story about how Mark only pays $50/month... cheaper than his cable bill!
Even Obama himself said:
"Through the marketplaces, you can get health insurance for what may be the equivalent of your cell phone bill or your cable bill, and that’s a good deal."
Naturally, my expectations were that I, too, should be getting super cheap insurance, all thanks to this new "Affordable" Care Act. I mean, people who make less than me, get free insurance through Medicaid, so mine shouldn't be TOO expensive... right?
Oh, Mr. President, I know you had good intentions for this plan. And I'm sure Pat, Sally and Joe are benefitting from it. But unfortunately, I am NOT. How I WISH my Gold Plan insurance could be the cost of my phone bill. But in reality, even the mediocre, Silver Plans are the same as my RENT. (FYI, that's 8 times the cost of my phone bill).
And even if you find a plan you THINK is a good deal... make sure you do your research about in-network providers. My current doctor (who I LOVE) accepts most insurance plans, but two of the cheaper options (Molina & Caresource at NOT accepted.) Makes me wonder how many other fantastic doctors choose not to accept insurance plans from these companies.
Let me be clear. We are NOT wealthy. We have enough for our needs, but paying for this new Obamacare every month will now eliminate all hope of buying a new(er) car, saving for a house, or doing anything other than fulfilling our basic needs.
We don't even pay for cable because it's too expensive.
Although... maybe if I were "Mark who only pays $50/month for his insurance," I could actually afford having cable, like he does.
Maybe if my business wasn't QUITE so successful... if I just slacked off a little, worked less, and made less money, then my insurance and even some of my food and other costs would be completely paid for!
I could work less, and get more! Sounds like the true American Dream, right?
If I stop working so hard, everyone else will pay for my needs.
Now that's a plan that sounds "Affordable."
But moving on...
Let's talk about what happens AFTER you are required to delete your application all together, create a new one, upload various documents, and finally have all your issues with the website resolved.
Wellllllll, let's be honest.... it's been weeks since I've uploaded my documents, I still haven't heard back about the status of my application, and when I went to check my profile, this happened...
Ok, but for real, I'm done complaining about website issues.
Let's focus on the actual reality of this "Affordable Care Act."
[Regardless of my political party affiliations...] I decided I would be completely open-minded about the new healthcare plan. Supposedly, it was designed for people like me: middle/working class, self-employed, preexisting pregnant condition, not poor enough to qualify for Medicaid but certainly not wealthy enough to pay a ton of money toward healthcare each month. I'll admit... I was even hopeful for what this plan could do for me and my soon to be family of 3.
Since October, I've gotten several emails directly from the White House and read multiple news articles about how Pat, Sally and Joe used to pay $1200/month and now they only pay $100! Wow. That sounds like a dream come true. There was even a story about how Mark only pays $50/month... cheaper than his cable bill!
Even Obama himself said:
"Through the marketplaces, you can get health insurance for what may be the equivalent of your cell phone bill or your cable bill, and that’s a good deal."
Naturally, my expectations were that I, too, should be getting super cheap insurance, all thanks to this new "Affordable" Care Act. I mean, people who make less than me, get free insurance through Medicaid, so mine shouldn't be TOO expensive... right?
Oh, Mr. President, I know you had good intentions for this plan. And I'm sure Pat, Sally and Joe are benefitting from it. But unfortunately, I am NOT. How I WISH my Gold Plan insurance could be the cost of my phone bill. But in reality, even the mediocre, Silver Plans are the same as my RENT. (FYI, that's 8 times the cost of my phone bill).
And even if you find a plan you THINK is a good deal... make sure you do your research about in-network providers. My current doctor (who I LOVE) accepts most insurance plans, but two of the cheaper options (Molina & Caresource at NOT accepted.) Makes me wonder how many other fantastic doctors choose not to accept insurance plans from these companies.
Let me be clear. We are NOT wealthy. We have enough for our needs, but paying for this new Obamacare every month will now eliminate all hope of buying a new(er) car, saving for a house, or doing anything other than fulfilling our basic needs.
We don't even pay for cable because it's too expensive.
Although... maybe if I were "Mark who only pays $50/month for his insurance," I could actually afford having cable, like he does.
Maybe if my business wasn't QUITE so successful... if I just slacked off a little, worked less, and made less money, then my insurance and even some of my food and other costs would be completely paid for!
I could work less, and get more! Sounds like the true American Dream, right?
If I stop working so hard, everyone else will pay for my needs.
Now that's a plan that sounds "Affordable."

No comments:
Post a Comment