So I'll admit it. I haven't watched "Keeping up with the Kardashians" lately...and I miss it. For those that don't know this show...it's a reality TV series about the Kardashian family. (Kim, Kourtney, Khloe + family, etc)
While I was (not) sleeping last night I had an epiphany. There are A LOT of reality shows. And there are a lot of them because people watch them. And people watch them because they like "reality." And yes, I know a lot of reality shows are a distorted perception and maybe, most likely are scripted... but right now, that's besides the point.
The point is: reality shows are not the Disney Channel. It's a depiction of "real" life- full of struggles, trials, problems and not so happy endings. Whether your single, have a baby, have a husband, are trying to get along with your parents or in-laws... I feel like every girl can somehow relate to the Kardashians.
People like reality shows because they invade privacy and they let us explore every aspect of a person's life. Nothing is hidden. So in a way, you get to know the characters as real people. I feel like I am connected to them, like I know them. I see Kim without makeup on and think, wow- she looks a lot different. She actually looks like a real person. I see Kourtney get in a fight with Scott about problems with her mom and think, yes- other people have problems too.
Reality TV shows are all about the drama... but life is drama. I think almost anyone's life could be made into a reality show. I think there's an overwhelming tendency to see other relationships or other families and think, "Wow, they have it all. Their life is perfect." But even the beautiful look ugly sometimes. Even the wealthy cry tears of sadness. Even those that give off the image: I'm perfectly happy all the time, are probably just faking it. Not that being optimistic and happy are bad... but honestly- people have more emotions then just HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY. To me, that's fake.
In the end, we are all just people living real lives. So there's no need to always seem happy... unless you actually are. If someone asks, "How are you?"- you don't always have to say "I'm good." Maybe we should all be a little more open about our problems, a little more honest. Maybe this would lead to people coming closer together, understanding each other on a deeper level, not so superficial. Maybe we would find that we are all a lot more alike than we think.
Maybe the "fences" of jealousy would disappear and the grass all around us would be greener- there would still be a little rain...a few storms and some sun, just depending on the day. Because we all know the weather is unpredictable and also uncontrollable. Nature is nature- life is life.
Easier said then done... but I want my blog and my life to be genuine- to be natural- to be reality. And reality is not always perfect.
This is going to be extra difficult for a perfectionist. But thanks to the Kardashians, I'm going to try.
LOVE IT!!! You are on to something here!! I <3 YOU!
ReplyDelete