Wednesday, June 15, 2011

From Germany to Switzerland

On our way from Hude to Heidelberg, we slept... a lot. Christopher especially because he stayed up the night before to watch the NBA finals. He was super happy he did... Go Dallas Mavericks! On this sports note, I must inform you that we were walking down the cute little European streets and here comes a kid, minding his own business, however, unfortunately wearing a D-Wade Miami Heat jersey. So Christopher freaks out and starts shouting "Boooooooooo! Boooooooooo!" I'm not sure this little Swiss-French guy even knew what was going on. He looked very confused. Chris was very proud of this of this moment and still loves to tell this story.

Anyway...Heidelberg is a beautiful city!! I loved it because of the awesome bridge, beautiful castle, and quaint little streets. It's actually what I pictured Europe would look like. Oma spoiled us with a Schneeball (cookie with chocolate formed in the shape of a ball) and ice cream. It was delicious, of course. We walked all around the town and then went up to the castle. The view overlooking the city was gorgeous. I love how so many beautiful towns in Germany are located right on the river. Heidelberg is definitely a favorite now.

After exploring we headed back toward Stuttgart to a small town called Nussdorf. This is where Oma and Opa live and also Opa's brother, Hartmut and his wife Heidi. They had us over for dinner and we enjoyed some delicious bratwurst and grilled cheese (not American-like, but actually a patty of cheese, grilled... so good!!) It was fun because Opa is a twin and so he looks just like his brother! We had fun at their house and getting to know them.

While at Oma & Opa's, Chris decided he needed a hair cut. So Oma said she knew the perfect hair dresser and scheduled the appointment. I wasn't there - so this story is from Christopher. He sat in the chair and told the hair dresser he wanted it the same style, just a little bit shorter all around. She seemed a little confused, so he tried to explain it again. Then she brought over a book and he found a picture which looked like the hair cut he wanted. She did her best... however it looked nothing like he described. So he decided to change his mind and choose an even shorter hair cut from a different picture. This one turned out better, but it was a total surprise to me because I was not expecting such a drastic change! It looks good though and will be more "professional" looking for our internship. Meet "European Christopher." 

One of the most delicious parts about Germany was the Bon Bon Factory / Gummi Baren Land! I loved it because it was all you can eat samples of delicious gummy candies: bears, fruits, jelly beans, rings, sugary, sour, fruity...everything you can imagine! Seeing as Sour Patch Kids and sugary candies are my favorite, I was in heaven! Although, we totally ate way too much and had a belly ache, but it was so worth it. 


After some time with Oma and Opa in Nussdorf, we began our journey to Switzerland with aunt Silke. On the way we stopped at the Swiss Temple to walk around the grounds. Unfortunately it was closed for cleaning so we didn't get to go inside. But it was neat to see it because this is where Chris's mom and dad were sealed.

After a fun road trip and listening to Bruno Mars on repeat, we finally made it to Lausanne, Switzerland... definitely one of the most beautiful places we have been to so far! (But then again I'm partial toward mountains and lakes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment