Friday, June 17, 2011

Love the Beauty of Switzerland

We were so lucky we went to Switzerland when we did. It rained a little on the way there and on the way home but during our time there is was gorgeous! Our aunt, Silvia lives on a hill above Lake Geneva and we had the BEST view from our bedroom balcony. It was breath taking!
Walking around the city we got to see the famous church, eat a Swiss burger and take in a beautiful overlook of the town below. We explored the city of Lausanne together and had quite a fun time taking pictures at all the exhibits, around the Olympic Park and around the lake. It was so entertaining.

One thing I found was some freaky French-style bathrooms. I never thought anything could be worse than a Port-A-Potty, but I think this wins the prize. You don’t even get a potty, you have to pee standing up or squatting I suppose. I thought I entered the boys’ bathroom by accident. So I went in the other side and found a handicapped stall. Crazy Europeans.

I realized something. Every time we go somewhere new, I say it's my favorite. I'm pretty sure I just love all of Europe! Everything is so beautiful. While in Switzerland we went to the town, "Le Gruyère." It has the cutest little shops, restaurants and of course... a castle. We had the best time taking pictures by the castle wall. And of course Christopher had to be crazy and take some jumping pictures on top of the wall, so I had to join too. It was so fun!

But while the town was beautiful, I must say the best part was the food! Christopher ate the hashbrown special and I had the infamous Gruyère fromage (cheese) with bread, egg and ham on skillet. SO GOOD. But not even the best part yet... the best part of all was dessert: Double Cream with Strawberries and 2 Meringues. Holy heaven. My quote, "This is the best thing I've ever eaten in my whole life." Not exaggerating. 100% serious. The best.

Then to make the day even more delicious, we headed over to Callier - a famous Swiss Chocolate factory. The tour was brand new and really interesting. We were guided through kind of like a play, but with no actors just special effects, sound, lighting and props. It explained all about the history of chocolate and how Callier started. And then of course... unlimited samples!!! We got to try so many different kinds of delicious, Swiss chocolate. I was so happy!


Switzerland was such a fun time. We were so spoiled with great weather, fun adventures, home made meals and relaxation. We were so grateful to Silke for driving us in her awesome convertible and spending her vacation taking us all around. After we left Lausanne, we headed up to Bern to visit Silke's friends (Rebecca and Carol) and lucky us! a another beautiful city.

Bern was situated on the clearest, bluest river I've ever seen. It reminded me of a lazy river at a water park because it looked almost like a pool! I was so impressed. The city was filled with water fountains, cobblestone streets, bridges, little shops in the basements with access doors that looked like bomb shelters, giant clocks, and bears! This was Christopher's favorite part because he loved animals and we got to see the bears pretty close up... and they were swimming! It was pretty cool.

We loved our adventure in Switzerland and wished it could have been longer... however, our post-internship plans include Lucerne and Lauterbrunnen so we are looking forward to seeing some more of the Alps and maybe my friends who live in Zurich. Ahh... so many things we want to do over the next 4 months.

Thanks to Silvia, Marcel, Naomi, Silke, Rebecca and Carol for making our time in Switzerland so wonderful! And of course... I always have more pictures than words :)

1 comment:

  1. Really nice blog..and beautiful pictures ....please upload some more beautiful snaps...

    ReplyDelete