Sunday, July 3, 2011

Brussels Life

I find it a little funny that we are living in Brussels this summer. To be honest, I never would have pictured myself here. I have dreamed of London, Paris, Dublin, Rome and Athens... but Belgium never quite made the list.

During our first few weeks here, however, we have already grown to love it. It's so fun to experience a new lifestyle and although adjustment is a little difficult, I've always enjoyed change. I'm surprised how quickly we have gotten used to the public transportation and we know our way around pretty well.

Luckily, the food is pretty similar to what we are used to and isn't a drastic change like we experienced in Guatemala. Due to the fact that we are both working full-time (and our laziness) we haven't been cooking very luxurious meals. So far we've mostly been living off of pasta, pizza, bread, meat, cheese, cereal, bratwurst, french fries and our Swiss/German chocolate stash. I can tell my body is deprived of fruits and vegetables... I definitely need to work on that.

One thing I love about Brussels is the beauty of a big, but old city. The architecture everywhere is gorgeous. I love the little streets and cute buildings. There are big cathedrals and the famous Grand Place is only a few train stops away. I could sit and people watch there all day. Plus just standing in the center is amazing. It's hard to describe and nearly impossible to photograph. There's just something special about standing in the middle of Grand Place and doing a 360 turn. Everything surrounding you is tall, beautiful and architecturally amazing.


We've also done some exploring to another famous tourist destination: The Anotnium. It was originally built in 1958 for a Fair Expo but since it was so popular and soon turned into a big attraction for Brussels they decided to keep it. We only visited the outside but hopefully we will venture inside before we leave. I hear it has a great panoramic view of the city.


That's another thing I love about being in Europe. It gives us an excuse to get out and do things. Even if we are worn out from work and just want to watch a movie- it's nice to live in a big city where there are so many fun options and things waiting for you. We loved our time spent in little Logan, Utah but it's so refreshing to be in a new place, with new people and explore things together.

Even if we get lost and don't end up where we planned, there is always something new to experience. Whether it's a cute little shop with bread that tastes like orange candy or a park we saw on the map that actually ended being a "royal" park that was gated with barbed wire and forbidden to enter so we just peaked through the fence instead.  Or then there's those nights when you go out dancing after work with friends and then you forget that public transportation doesn't run at 1:30a.m. and you have to figure out how to walk home...at night...in the dark...Holy crap was I freaked out.

Not just about the fact that we were lost in a big city with people who don't speak English- but the fact that we just happened to wander into Brussels' Red Light District. I have heard about this in Amsterdam and knew it happened but it just took me totally off guard. It was like a combination of a zoo for hookers / window shopping for strippers. It just made me feel sad for them. These girls looked a little drugged and were just sitting / swaying in their underwear, inside of glass boxes while men by the car fulls drove by looking for the one they wanted. This wouldn't be so scary (more just revolting) except for the fact that these disgusting men started looking at me on the corner. NOT okay. Eventually we found our way home, safe and sound... but I'll never forget the looks on their faces. Some people say they chose their lifestyle, but I still can't help but feel bad for them.

Anyway...on a happier note... Brussels beach opened up! It is basically more like a little street carnival with yummy food, drinks and music. We went after work with our friends and enjoyed a sun-filled evening. We've also found some delicious Greek food - they have the best pitas and gyros!

Another great thing about Brussels is the SHOPPING! They do have high-fashion shopping + the normal stores like H&M but my favorite is actually the shopping by our apartment. It's super cheap and fun because it's a lot like Canal Street in New York City. I can't wait to bring home souvenirs :)

Overall, we love it here - despite the crazy weather and creepy whore streets it really is a nice place. We still love our apartment, especially on the sunny evenings when we get to eat outside on the back patio. We hardly ever hear or see our neighbors and we feel pretty safe.

I'm so excited for more adventures in Brussels, in Belgium and all around Europe!

1 comment:

  1. i think i read it before but why are you doing this FUN amazing adventure again? you lucky duck! i gotta do what yall are doing so i can live in amazing cities like this.

    ReplyDelete