Sad moment today.
My BIG, fantastic, awesome, sneaky, SURPRISE plan...
ruined.
For once this was going to be my grand moment where I actually surprised my husband. (It's more difficult than you think... especially when you share debit cards, credit cards and a computer).
Well anyway, here was the plan:
This coming MONDAY (July 11) is our 3 Year Anniversary. (crazy, huh?)
So this weekend we are going to Brugge, Belgium to celebrate (aka: Venice of the North, voted one of the most romantic cities, with "places to kiss" on the map)... and I am SO excited about it, however I knew Christopher was just kinda excited. So I wanted to plan something really great for him.
Originally we were going to try and take Monday off so we could have a 3-day weekend but it didn't work out because (long story short) the policy at work is you have to request off 1 month in advance so we couldn't get it off. We decided to just hang around Belgium and go out to a nice restaurant on the night of our anniversary.
Then I got this fabulous idea... Thursday, July 14 is Bastille Day in France (kind of like Independence Day in the U.S.). So picture this: the Eiffel Tower AND fireworks! Romantic times a million. I HAD to find a way to make it work. I knew we could take the train to Paris right after work and make it in 1 hour 20 minutes- with plenty of time to spare...the only problem is we would have to work Friday and there would be no trains to bring us back in time.
So without Christopher knowing, I asked my boss for special approval for us to take the day off. (I was pretty petrified because my boss barely even knows me and here I am already asking for days off & not following the advanced request policy... ahhh, but I had to). Thankfully, he was super nice and said we could!! I was ecstatic :) My perfect dream plan coming true.
In my head it went like this:
Thursday, July 14 - the clock strikes 6:00 pm. Christopher and I hop on the 25 tram to go home. We walk through the door. Take off our shoes. Walk to the kitchen to start cooking dinner and then I say... "Pack a suitcase! We're going on a trip!" And he says "What? Where?" And I say "It's a surprise! Pack enough for 3 nights." Then we get to the train station and he sees the sign - Train to PARIS. Then he says, "Wait? What about work tomorrow?" And I say... "We have the day off and we're going to see the fireworks!" He's super excited, partly because he doesn't have to work tomorrow, partly because he's so shocked from the surprise and partly because we're going to PARIS!
Well... it was nice in my head.
Too bad the HR girl dropped the "approved vacation" form on his desk with the whole scenario about my surprise idea explained in the "More info" section.
BUMMER.
I almost cried. (not really, but I wanted to).
But I guess the good news is... next weekend we're going to celebrate our 3rd year anniversary watching the fireworks in Paris! If you can't already tell... I'm really excited :)
oh I am so sorry. My husband is so hard to surprise!!! I would be super bummed too. But at least you get to go to Paris and see the fireworks :)
ReplyDelete