Thursday, January 17, 2013

By Now.

I am 24 years old now. And this isn't your predictable birthday post.

(Husband is 27 years old, by the way.)

We have been graduated from college for 2 years.

We have been married 4 years, 6 months and 5 days. The big 5-year mark is coming quickly. 

And as a result of certain conversations and comments, I feel like other people "wonder" about us...

By now, they should be settling down.

By now, they should stop traveling so much and start saving money for the future. 

By now, that husband should be in the middle of graduate school, or working a full-time salary job.

By now, they should have a house with a dog barking in the backyard.

By now, they should have a child, maybe two... 

Or at least by now, she should be pregnant, unless there's something wrong with her.  

By now, they should be grown-up, and start acting like it. 


Sometimes I get caught up in it all. I believe them. I find myself thinking, they must be right.

We are behind. We should be this... We should be that... Why aren't we? What's wrong with us? 

But then I realize, this is our life.  

We don't have to be like everyone else. We can eat ice cream for dinner, and play Super Mario brothers on the Wii until 4AM, and spend money on irresponsible toys, clothes and traveling to far away places. We can go dirty dancing in college clubs like we're 18 again, and have Nerf gun wars, and sleep in until noon on the weekends. We can go on date nights every night, just because.

My new favorite quote is:

"What screws us up most in life is the picture in our head of how it's supposed to be."

When grown-up things are meant to be, they will happen. And we can't always plan when, or how quickly they will happen. Life is not a race, or a rush. So we might as well enjoy where we are... right now.   

And to be honest, I don't feel 24. I feel 18. While I love looking at million dollar houses on Pinterest (with showers the size of our living room), the idea of a house payment and being stuck in one location for at least 5-7 years frightens my gypsy soul. 

And while I dream every day about having 5 children of my own, the thought of growing/raising a human and never sleeping-in again still terrifies me.

I wouldn't trade these past 4 years, 6 months and 5 days of being young, immature and selfish for anything. Because we needed them. I needed them. I  needed this time to learn, to experience the world, and to grow up at my pace. We needed them to figure this whole marriage thing out before bringing extra stress into the mix. We needed to learn that fights don't have to last 5 days and that Burger King lies...I can't always have it my way. We needed to figure out how to be happy together, despite our (frequent) differences of opinion. I needed to stop picturing my life as a Disney movie with unrealistic expectations. And I think we are finally (almost) there - to that point where we still fight, but with softer yelling and less swear words, AND we can (usually) forgive, say sorry and compromise in less than 12-24 hours... and really feel like we're stronger together, like we can overcome anything. 

Conclusion:
Please don't judge us. I'm OK with where we are, despite what other people say we "should" be doing by now. And when the time comes that God thinks I'm ready to be a mother, with a house, and officially "grow-up"... I know I'll be OK with that too. 

6 comments:

  1. I got the baby question constantly.. just days after we had been married someone asked when we were planning on having kids, then again after our 1 year anniversary, then again after I graduated college. A year after Caiden was born people started asking me when we were planning to have our next baby. In that last year I've been asked that question at least once a week.. There will come a time when you just feel like something is missing in your life, in your marriage, in your family. Wait until you're ready, until you have that nudging in your heart because kids are a lot of work. But with all that work and sleepless nights come the greatest joy you could ever know, and your heart will be filled with more love than you thought possible. You'll know when the time is right for you. But also know that it is still possible to sleep in with kids, and though it may be a little harder (and more expensive), traveling is even more of an adventure! We have loved experiencing vacations through Caiden's eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chelsey :) This is really sweet. And yes, I can totally see that by looking at all your cute Disney and beach pictures!! Despite how it comes out...I really am more excited than scared to have kids. But you are totally right, it has to be the right timing. Thanks for your kind words!

      Delete
  2. I feel like I am totally out of the norm having two kids and just now turning 24! Especially being outside of Utah, it feels like I am WAYYY to young to be where I am at! Ali and I were just at IKEA this weekend and we were talking to an older couple about how crappy the carts are and that was why we wanted to leave the kids with their Dads so we didn't have to push a dang cart...Anyways, after we stopped talking and turned around I heard the husband say, "Do you really think they have kids? They just look to young!" HA! I LOVVVEEEE my kids with all my might and I would NEVER EVER take them back for ANYTHING! However, I didn't ever get to experience life like you are! Not that there is a right or a wrong way, but if there were...I would say you are doing it the RIGHT way!!!! LIVE IT UP!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thanks Kylee. I guess it is more of a Utah/Mormon mentality. I get CRAZY looks when I tell people I got married at 19! And I definitely agree - there is no "wrong way" just God's plan for what's "right" for each of us individually :)

      Delete
  3. I think if I was in Utah I would feel more pressure to have kids. However, living in CT so close to NYC I feel the opposite. I feel like I have to have my graduate degree, a few years of experience in the work place, a nice house, a cleaning lady and a Lexus crossover before I am suppose to start thinking about having kids. It just depends on what glasses you put on, whose idea of a perfect life you are looking at. Great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything I read I nodded my head like, "yup...yup...same here... yup..." We are in the EXACT same boat. But I think your life looks amazing! Love your honesty on this blog.

    ReplyDelete