Friday, January 28, 2011

for my grandpa richard

When I found out my Grandpa passed away, I cried.

I've never had such an instant reaction before. Part of it was shock, part of it was sadness. I thought of my Grandma and how lonely she would be. I thought of my mom and how hard it must be to say goodbye to your father. I thought about how my children would never get to know Great Grandpa Richard. And then I thought of him.

Ever since he was hit by a car when I was younger, he has had an endless number of trials. It seemed that once a hardship was passed, things only got worse. He had multiple surgeries on his leg, but it ended up being amputated. He had pains with his fake leg that never fit quite right. He suffered a heart attack, heart surgery, diabetes, skin cancer, a motorcycle accident and a recent fall. It seemed that challenges and pain never left him alone. His physical pain has never stopped...until now.

That's when my tears stopped. That's when I felt at peace.

Last night as I was falling asleep, I saw my Grandpa. I don't think it was a dream or a vision, but an image of him appeared in my mind. But he wasn't old anymore. He looked like he was my age, and he was smiling with bright blue eyes. Then he laughed and said, "I'm free." He started jogging, then running and then sprinted away through a meadow. He was free from the pain and limitations of his almost 84-year-old body. Most of all, he was happy.

My grandpa taught me a lot of things, whether he intended to, or not. Here's a few things I remember the most:
  • Go somewhere warm in the winter, like Arizona. Winters are miserable. 
  • The History Channel is the only decent thing on TV.
  • Serve your country honorably.
  • Tabasco sauce tastes great on everything, even if it makes you sweat.
  • Squirrels are the dumbest animals. 
  • Take naps. 
  • Play lots of jokes - like pop off your fake leg when a kid bumps into it.
  • Work really hard.
  • Always wear a hat. You don't want to get skin cancer.
  • Ride a motorcycle.
  • Get a good education and go to college at a private university so the government doesn't have any say, ideally Heidelberg would be the best choice. 
  • Keep a handkerchief in your pocket, in case you need to blow your nose.
  • Lots of racist jokes.
  • Be brave and strong, no matter how bad the pain is.
  • Go on lots of walks.
  • Pray to God for thanks before every meal.
  • Love your family. 
  • Read the newspaper.
  • Find the humor in every situation, it makes the hard times more bearable.
  • Love your spouse. Be faithful and kind, even after 63 years, even if you get irritated by them, cherish what's most important, value your relationship
  • Always do your best.
  • Never, ever give up.
My grandpa will be buried on his 84th birthday. I miss him, but I know he is happy. I know I will see him again in heaven. I thank him for all he has taught me and all the joy he brought me throughout my life. I love you, Grandpa Richard.   

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your Grandpa :( it's so hard to lose grandparents, but it is also great to know that he is happy and healthy where he is. Hang in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful memories/lessons from him. I hope I can be as strong as you when I am faced with something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a sad post! I'm sorry. Grandpas are special people!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear this, but definitely great advice!!

    ReplyDelete