I've been married for 2 years and 9 months, which to me feels like veteran status. (Old people: feel free to laugh at me). But this is no newly wed home...honestly, some days my husband drives. me. nuts. I feel: infuriated, disgusted, disappointed, shocked. I assume other people feel this way, but tend not to blog to the world about it. (I secretly hope other people feel this way, so that makes me more normal).
Sparing you the details... some days (like today) I think, "if you were my boyfriend, I would so break up with you right now." But that's the thing about marriage, you're stuck with each other, forever. You get mad and have bad days and sometimes you just can't stand each other. (Believe me, I know I drive him crazy too.)
But that's the beautiful part about it. You can get mad at each other and be yourself and let it all out. You don't have to pretend everything is perfect but secretly be upset. You are both human. You are not the same person, so disagreements will happen. It's normal. You both make mistakes. And sometimes you don't understand each other. Some things you may never completely understand.
But eventually, you both realize that maybe you shouldn't have raised your voice, maybe you shouldn't have assumed or jumped to conclusions. Maybe you should have just taken a few deep breaths and relaxed before venting.
So you spend awhile thinking (and if you're me, you are a dweller) and then you figure out a way to fix things. You know there's a compromise, and you may need to sacrifice, but you want to. You want him to be happy, you don't want to keep dwelling, you just want a solution.
Sometimes it's an apology or talking about the situation in a normal voice, like grown ups, or cooking him his favorite dessert, or maybe you just need a big (bear hug) squeeze and kiss on the forehead...or some days you come home and find this waiting for you on the computer:
This is the feeling that makes it all worthwhile.
I love this! Marriage freaks me out and I have 2 weeks to get over it but this makes me so happy! I will remember this:)
ReplyDeleteI can COMPLETELY relate with this post! I tend to walk out when I get too upset and take the dog on a walk. The whole time we are walking I'm thinking "I'm never going to apologize, I did nothing wrong. He needs to apologize, I always say I'm sorry first." But as soon as I walk back in the door I can't believe how much I overreacted and how much I love my hubs and want to say sorry. Marriage us a funny and humbling experience.
ReplyDeleteOn an unrelated note I can't wait for you guys to come to CT to visit Chris' family! We live here now!
Yes, you are normal. We all have days where we are less than pleased with our spouse. But like you said... we get over it because we love each other and LOVE CONQUERS ALL! :) I love your posts & you!
ReplyDeleteI am glad you were honest! And I am so glad that I am not the only one who has those thoughts! Being married is hard, but so worth it! Although, I am having a hard time picturing you raising your voice or getting mad!
ReplyDelete