Saturday, April 2, 2011

What A Beautiful Day

If you listen to country music, you may have heard the song "What a Beautiful Day" by Chris Cagle. I really LOVE this song and decided to use it as inspiration to write a poem. So I pulled out my journal and calculated it out. While we were dating I made a goal to write at least one thing in my journal every, single day... I'm sure glad I did! (Note: The last paragraph is an excerpt from the song's chorus.)


Our Story

Day one.
I heard a boy shout hello from the door of 24C.
My roommate said he came upstairs
just to meet me.
On day nine, we had our first double date. Coldstone ice cream and I couldn’t wait!
We talked all night at Betos on day thirteen,
Admitting past mistakes
and sharing future dreams.
Day fifteen, he pulled me in for our first kiss.
I was scared and ran home, straight up the stairs.
We learned country dance lifts on day thirty-two
I grabbed his hand and thought, “I really like you.”
Day forty, he left a Valentine’s surprise on my bed:
A pink blanket, chocolate & roses that were red
He changed his Facebook status on day fifty-nine:
“In a Relationship” meant he was officially mine.
We fell in love at the beach on day sixty-seven.
Vegas, Mexico and San Diego were heaven.
I watched him play football on day eighty-six
That Utah State jersey gave me my "man in a uniform" fix
On day eighty-eight he said, “I love you” to me
Then we decided to get married on day ninety-three.
Day ninety-nine he took me downtown for “something”
That’s when I picked out my engagement ring.
Day one-sixteen he met all of my family
We traveled around Ohio and carved our names in a tree.
I realized I couldn’t live without him on day one-forty-four
I flew from Utah to Connecticut, more in love than before.
On day one-twenty-seven I was hurt and almost said goodbye,
But with forgiveness and love, I gave it one more try.
Day one-twenty-nine, he got down on one knee
Forever and ever, he promised to love me.
We signed a marriage license in Massachusetts on day one-sixty-two
I looked at him and thought, “I get to grow old with you.”
Day one-eighty-three was the start of our new life
At the Boston Temple, we became husband and wife.

Day one-thousand-one-hundred-and-fifty-three...
Well honey, that's today
so here’s to you and me-
Oh, what a feeling, what a wonderful emotion
Yeah, what a life
counting my blessings and knowing
We had our ups and downs all along the way
I had a chance to leave but chose to stay.
What a beautiful day.

3 comments:

  1. Natalie, I love this song--and this is so cute!! You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute! I love it! I wish I would have kept a journal like that to always remind me! You are smart! Hope all is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this! So cute. I always wondered your dating story...

    ReplyDelete