Friday, September 19, 2014

They say it changes you.

They say motherhood changes you. And in some ways this is true.

My house is different. My marriage is different. My schedule and sleep habits are different. And this body of mine is most definitely different.

But honestly, deep down at the heart of it all, I think motherhood doesn't really change you as much as it reveals your most genuine soul. When I look back on the first 4 months of Calvin's life, I see myself in the rawest, most natural form. I see myself without make-up. I see messy ponytails. I see stretch marks. I see a zombie version of myself running on 2 hours of sleep, crying and then laughing in the same sentence... Sacrifice. Selflessness. A pure, unconditional love that I never knew I was capable of.

You see... motherhood doesn't really change who we are. It merely reveals these characteristics that were always within us. The moment that precious little one is laid in our arms, there is an innate desire to rise to the occasion, to be the absolute best, to protect, to provide, to nurture. Motherhood unearths this wonderful part of us that is inherent and beautiful and almost... surprising.

How can I love another human so instantly and fully?

How can I function on such a small amount of sleep day after day, after day... and still find so many moments of pure joy from such small and simple things?

Like a big gummy smile, or the way he nibbles in his sleep, or when his tiny hand rests on my arm while reading Brown Bear, or when he babbles "mama" for the first time. (He's just experimenting with sounds, but your heart wants to believe that it's more.)

After the crazy postpartum hormones and sleepless phase subsided... I took a step back and realized that I feel so fulfilled and complete. It's as if Calvin has filled a hole in my heart that I never knew existed.

Motherhood has given me a new sense of purpose and perspective. It has reminded me how to love, not only him... but myself.






1 comment:

  1. I love this post! It's so true. Your world is turned upside down but you don't think twice about it because you instantly would do anything in the world for your sweet baby!

    ReplyDelete