Wednesday, May 11, 2011

My Grandma May

This is my 200th post! 

I know I already somewhat blogged about this in my 3 Mothers post below but I wanted this post to be special, so I'm going to dedicate it to my Grandma May Hansen. She passed away on Mother's Day and her funeral was this week. Unfortunately I wasn't able to fly back for it, but I'm glad most of my family was able to be together.

May Hansen was an amazing woman. I like to think I have inherited some of her creative genes. She was a very talented painter and also a self-taught piano player. She is one of the most courageous and strongest people I know. She experienced so many trials throughout her life, including growing up as an orphan, supporting my grandpa on their farm for many years, living through the Great Depression and losing a daughter to cancer. She also raised a son with severe epilepsy after her fell and hit his head at a young age. She took care of him throughout his adulthood until he passed away. My grandpa died a few years ago and even through this hardship, she still remained upbeat and did her best to enjoy life, despite her loneliness.

It would have been easy for her to be bitter and ask God why he took away so many people in her life. I can't imagine what it would feel like to grow up in an orphanage and lose so many people you love. But my grandma always had such a sweet spirit. She never became hard-hearted. She just kept on living, grateful for what little things she had.

I hope I can have this same attitude throughout my life. I admire my grandma so much and I'm so thankful for her love and example. I know she's happy now. She's with her husband, two children, parents and other family and friends. It's interesting thinking that a little over 2 years ago, I had all 4 grandparents in my life and now I only have 1. While this is a sad moment, it's mostly peaceful and comforting.

I love you Grandma May!  

Here are a few of the last memories we shared together:








 






 And here's a mini showcase of some of May Hansen's beautiful artwork. We are so lucky to own one of these original paintings! I can't wait to display it when we have a house someday. Now a part of her can always be with us :)

1 comment:

  1. I knew you would post about Grandma :) It was a beautiful day. Beautiful weather. And she died in the month of her name. We are so lucky to be a part of such an amazing legacy! :)

    ReplyDelete