My friend posted this link on Facebook and I could hardly believe it.
I found out one of my favorite teachers from high school is most likely going to prison for sex offender charges. A cop posed as a 14-year-old girl and he agreed to meet her to have sex.
At first I was shocked and then I was sad. He was such a great teacher and a nice person. He taught me all about the laws of physics and he actually made it fun. We even built our own rockets with parachutes. Now, he will most likely never teach again.
There are other rumors going around about how he slept with one of his students who was on the volleyball team. The whole idea of this is beyond disgusting.
It's crazy how things happen in life. Now looking back I start to question why he always stayed late to help me with homework problems or test questions. I want to believe that he had the desire to help me learn, but now I just get grossed out and wonder what was going through his mind.
It's still interesting though because perspective is everything. If I didn't know him, I would have the attitude, "What a disgusting, repulsive, freak. He should rot in jail." But knowing what a nice guy he was, I find myself thinking... "I wonder how he feels, I wonder if there is a reason why he did it or what challenges he was facing that would result in something so desperate."
It's different when you remember that we are all real people who are struggling with something. Not that I'm justifying his actions in any way, shape or form... it's just devastating to think about how he has ruined his life. Even if he isn't convicted (the trial has yet to happen), his reputation has most likely been damaged forever. And if in fact he is found guilty, his whole life will be destroyed. He will never teach or coach again. I know he was married and had a beautiful wife. I assume that's either not the case anymore, or it wont be for long.
Honestly, this whole thing is just sad. I can't think of any other way to describe it. And it's most shocking because when someone says "sex offender," I picture some greasy, nasty, psycho, creep... not my favorite high school physics teacher.
No comments:
Post a Comment