Sometimes I think Thanksgiving is cliche. Don't get me wrong, I love, love, love it... but I just feel like it's hard to be sincere in showing gratitude, when everyone else is doing it, and they are doing it just because the holiday is called Thanksgiving. So I'm not hating on Thanksgiving, because it's good for people to recognize their many blessings and I'm sure most people really do mean it... what I'm really trying to say is, I wish the true feeling of gratitude could stay with us all year 'round and not just make an appearance in November. Anyways, Christopher and I gave talks in church today about gratitude and I wrote a poem for mine, so I think I'll share it :)
It's Easy to Be Thankful
We’re gathered ‘round the table, my mom scoots in her chair
“What are you thankful for?” She asks us all to share
As I sit and ponder, my niece stands up with glee
“I’m thankful for my sister, she shares her toys with me!”
I smile and agree, I love my sister too
I always could rely on her to help me make it through
Then I hug my husband, who has changed my life
“I’m so very thankful that I get to be his wife.”
Also for my parents, they’ve done so much for me
Inspiring and helping me be all that I can be.
We go around the table, each one takes a turn
And as I listen closely, I find something to learn
It’s easy to be grateful, on Thanksgiving Day
Food, love, family, are all things we can say
But truly being grateful, isn’t just about the word
The deepest form of gratitude is actually unheard
A grateful son is helpful, as he cleans the kitchen table
Thank you is an extra hand, when someone is unable
Appreciating what we have, not always wanting more
Praying down upon our knees, sharing all we’re thankful for
It’s easy to be grateful, when everything is right
But when times are difficult, we quickly can lose sight
With focus on the bad, we cannot travel far
Lost and wandering, we forget how lucky we are
The spirit of gratitude, will help us rise above
And by striving to be grateful, we will recognize God’s love
The lesson that I learned, on this Thanksgiving night
Helped me to be thankful, in a new and different light
Gratitude is not just a list, or a Hallmark Thank You card
It’s being grateful every day, even when life gets hard

Side Note: After the past two Thanksgivings with friends (which were great) I finally got to spend the day with my family! My brother moved to Provo so we were able to drive down for the day. It was fun to be with my nieces and nephews. As usual, the pumpkin roll was my #1 favorite and the turkey was obviously delicious too. While at his house, we found some Black Friday ads: Band Hero for the Wii only $75! (normally $180) We couldn't pass up this deal so we ended up buying 2, sold one for $150 and in essence, got ours for free. It was a great day! And to make the weekend even better, I saw my friend Chantelle and her sister in Salt Lake. We were friends in high school so they made me feel a little closer to Ohio :)

1) Your poem was beautiful. You are such an amazing women. You always have the greatest insights!
ReplyDelete2) So fun to be with family on Thanksgiving!
3) That is a smart think to buy 2 at the discounted price and sell the other at normal price... I will remember that next year!!
4) I would literally make Mike leave the house is he EVER cheered against OSU... And he would sleep on the couch... it's basically adultery (to the Buckeyes) and I will not stand for that!
5) The week after Christmas is perfect!! Lets try for something Mon the 27th or Tues the 28th as we might be going to ohio for new years! Lets make it happen!!