The best part about the New Year is the feeling of a new beginning. So as tradition goes, I must make my New Year's Resolution List for 2011...1) Be more patient. However, this is way too broad so I'm going to clarify. I want to be more patient when it comes to the little every day things that frustrate me: like when I attempt to carry 17 things inside from the car and then balance them on my knee as I unlock the front door, and then something falls and I get upset. This is unnecessary. Along with this comes swearing. When I'm frustrated I often mutter under my breath, which can be controlled. Patience is important in all situations, even the little ones.
2) Save more money. I want to be more conscious of how much money I spend. Specifically I will set aside 12% of my paycheck into a savings account (that's hard to get money back out of). I also need to stop buying things that I don't need. I just need to focus on what I'm saving for... living for 3 months in Europe!3) Forget about myself. I used to be so good at recognizing people's needs, whether it's cooking a yummy treat for a neighbor, helping a friend study or leaving cute notes for my husband. I always feel happier when I focus more on serving others, instead of myself.
4) Remember how to read. Obviously I can read. But I used to be so much better at it. I used to spend my free time reading a novel, a how-to guide or a self-improvement book. I love learning new things and I have a really vivid imagination because of all the books I read growing up. I miss this hobby and sometimes it's hard to make myself read when I've been reading for school and work... my brain just wants to take a nap! But I think it's important to actually read things and not just skim them or look at the pictures in magazines. I miss reading.5) Work with purpose. It's hard having an office job, sitting at a desk. Next semester I will be working about 6-7 hours every day. This will be a change from having breaks to go to class. But I want to focus on what I'm actually doing and how I am helping franchises improve their business, not that I'm at work. I want to talk to my franchise clients more often, because it helps me feel more connected to them. When I get to know them, I have a greater desire to help them succeed.
6) Study the gospel. This is my biggest weakness. I tend to go through the motions while my brain is thinking about 10 million other things. This is bad and needs to change. I will pick a topic each week and study it in depth. I also want to write down things I learn, especially spiritual lessons. If I only achieve this one goal, my year will be a success.
7) Long-distance relationship skills. Being an avid text-er/facebook-er, I tend to resort to my convenient, easy technology to communicate to friends and family. This is wonderful to keep in touch, but I think it's still only third-best for maintaining relationships. I naturally HATE the telephone and feel somewhat awkward on it...but I need to get over this. Talking on the phone makes me feel so much more connected to people than sending a text or e-mail. I think I also may attempt to Skype more and even go old-school and write letters. Everyone loves letters. I've been blessed with wonderful friends and family so even though I live far away, I never want to lose my close relationships just because I'm lazy.8) Remember my Life Goals. I wrote a list of 100 goals, which has grown and changed over time. While many of them are expensive, somewhat unrealistic and difficult, such as visiting the Great Wall of China, many can be easily accomplished if I plan well and remember them! So I'm going to review them one more time, print them out and then create a special display to remind me of my goals. I think everyone should have things they are working toward and if I don't see them, I just forget.
10) Be healthy. I know the "lose weight and eat healthy" resolution is cliche, but this isn't about losing weight and technically not even about being healthy, really. I just want to feel better. I feel better when I don't stuff myself at meals and I feel better when I exercise. I'm happier when I'm healthy. Something simple I have been trying lately is actually listening to my body. When I'm full, I stop eating. When I'm hungry, I make sure I'm actually hungry and not just craving something. As for exercise, I'm going to try something new.
Instead of the gym, I'm going to buy a Fun, Fit, Forever pass. It's only $25 for a WHOLE semester. It includes classes such as pilates, yoga, boot camp, spinning, Zumba...I think I will love it. And since I'm paying for it, I will have to go, plus I will make friends and actually look forward to exercise. When I was running/marathon training, I enjoyed it some days, but overall I dreaded it. I don't want exercise to be a chore, because my overall goal is to be happier. And maybe even relieve some stress too.Here's to the New Year! I'm starting 2011 off right by accomplishing THREE of my Life Goals. Check back next week to see which ones they are :)
Your goals are awesome! I love them :) You better include me in the long distance one! I'm horrible at that too. I have skype!
ReplyDeleteNatalie great list. I think they are pretty good goals that you've set. I have a very similar list. Good luck to us!
ReplyDelete