Perspective.
Right now Christopher is in Utah and I am in Ohio. We've been apart for two days. Some couples never spend a night apart their entire married lives. I find this fascinating. I also find that when we are apart, it makes me love him more. I think we take each other for granted. It's easy to do when you are always with someone. You forget what life is like without them. You wake up in the middle of the night looking for someone to snuggle with, but no one is there. You realize how much it means to have them beside you and how lonely life is without them. It gives you a new perspective on love.
I had to take my exams early and fly to Ohio early for a court hearing. Turns out it was canceled and I rushed through my finals and paid extra money to change my plane ticket, for nothing. The trial may be rescheduled for January, or the dispute may be settled. We don't know what will happen. This was frustrating, upsetting and troubling. I thought about my tight schedule for winter break and how I didn't want another court hearing ruining my plans.
Then my mom got a phone call. A woman in my church was getting Christmas decorations out of the attic and fell through the ceiling, landing on her concrete floor. The ambulance was called but her skull was fractured and she was declared brain dead after an emergency surgery. They kept her on life support until family could make it to the hospital and then she passed away.
This woman meant a lot to me. Her daughter has been one of my best friends ever since I can remember. We spent many Sunday afternoons playing together and watching movies. This woman was always kind and loving. She had a way of making me feel beautiful, even during my middle school ugly ducking stage. Her singing voice was angelic. I can still remember it vividly, specifically "Do You Hear What I Hear?" and "Santa, Baby." She hosted a Christmas pageant to raise money for a charity and I got to be part of the cast. She made me feel important, like I was the star, even though I was only in a few scenes. I haven't seen her for a few years, but she still always posted "feliz cumpleanos" on my Facebook wall, wishing me a happy birthday. This woman was like a second mother to me and I always looked up to her. Now she is gone. It's a shock. When I first heard the news I didn't think it was real. And then I cried, uncontrollably. How quickly life can be put into perspective.
Life is just an experience. You never know when yours will be over. And even scarier (in my opinion) you never know when the people you love most will be gone. It's times like these when my knowledge of eternal life really hits home. It would be so much more devastating if I didn't know there is life after death. Dying is not the end of our journey. I'm really grateful for my understanding of God's plan and the purpose of life. It's this perspective that helps me cope with challenges and have faith to know that everything happens for a reason.
I visited my 96-year-old grandma today and couldn't help but stare at her, wondering if this is the last time I will hug her on this earth. I often find myself thinking about my grandpa, who died this past February, and wonder what he is doing. I know he is happy. I know he is surrounded by family members and friends. This brings me peace for all those who have passed on.
Obtaining this perspective reminds me that life is only temporary. I feel like I'm living differently today- trying to be more genuine and prioritizing the things that are most important, like the people I love. It's nice to be with my family for a few extra days and maybe that's why my trial was scheduled and then canceled. All I know is that I'm grateful for all the experiences God gives us, even if they are difficult. I'm going to try harder to learn from them and to be a better friend, a better daughter and a better wife.
My thoughts, sympathies and prayers go out to family and friends of the wonderful woman who passed away today. May God comfort all those who are suffering at this time. I know she had a positive impact on many people. She will be missed, but I know we will see her again someday.
Nati -
ReplyDeleteThanks for your post. It truly is amazing how much a simple change in perspective can do. I love you.
I like this post! Of course I stalk your blog all the time, but this really hit me! I feel like I am always thinking about how I feel NOW, how it is NOW, instead of keeping a perspective!
ReplyDeletelove it!
Thanks for that post. Perspective does change our attitudes and thoughts. I hope you have a Merry Christmas.
ReplyDelete