Remember that one time (a few days ago) when I was so grateful for our car, and even wrote a really nice blog post about it?
Well... trusty little Goldilocks decided to break down at a not-so-optimal time...16 minutes before my big job interview.
We were in the McDonald's parking lot, just eating a quick snack and killing some time because I was about 40 minutes early, and we were only 4 miles away from the interview location. Then it came time to leave and... the car wouldn't start. It wouldn't even crank.
I tried not to freak out. I really did. Christopher called the taxi service while I walked into McDonald's and starting begging people to drive me to my interview. I chose a nice-looking woman first who just replied coldly, "I'm on my lunch break. I don't have time." Everyone around me overheard and shook their heads when I looked at them. Most refused to even make eye contact. I was shocked that they didn't even have any sympathy in their eyes!
Here I was...new black tights, heels, black pencil skirt, ironed blazer and a 10-pound portfolio binder in my hands. But instead of a desperate young, professional...I felt like one of those shoeless, homeless performers on the subway in Europe, begging for a miracle from a bunch of non-interested, selfish, heartless people.
I was really trying not to freak out. But I did. The tears flowed no matter how badly I didn't want them to. When I walked back outside, I saw Christopher running around to the idling lines of cars in the drive-thru. Most people wouldn't even roll down their windows. He looked over at me and said the taxi service couldn't get here in time.
That's when I really lost it. Our car had been reliable for more than a year... we had just driven several hundred miles from Connecticut with no problems whatsoever. Now the ONE time that I CANNOT be late... the car doesn't even ATTEMPT to start. Why? Why? Why!
Amidst my "woe-is-me" breakdown, I heard Christopher shout for me to quickly come. I ran over to a bright red car, hopped in, looked over to the passenger seat and this is who I saw:
Ok, not really Snoop Dog. But he looked JUST like him. I know my parents taught me never to get in a car with a stranger...but at this point, I really didn't care who I was riding with, as long as I made it to my interview. After cutting off several cars and running a few red lights, our new friend became my hero. I was even 5 minutes early to my interview. Not only did he drive us back and forth, he also helped Christopher temporarily fix the car (by whacking the ignition), so thankfully we weren't stuck in Cleveland for the night. We paid him $30 and were SO grateful he helped us out in our desperate time of need.
Despite the fact that he was both smoking weed and drinking a 40oz. beer while driving - I really think he was a blessing in disguise. Looking back on this day, I learned several lessons.
1. If your dad offers to let you take his new car to an interview... accept!
2. If you have an old car... never trust it.
3. Always have cash (in multiple bills) in case you need to bribe people.
4. Life is unpredictable.
5. Freaking out and crying only makes things worse.
6. Persistence will pay off.
7. When seeking help, don't always judge people by their looks... you never know who might be the angel God has sent you.
Well... trusty little Goldilocks decided to break down at a not-so-optimal time...16 minutes before my big job interview.
We were in the McDonald's parking lot, just eating a quick snack and killing some time because I was about 40 minutes early, and we were only 4 miles away from the interview location. Then it came time to leave and... the car wouldn't start. It wouldn't even crank.
I tried not to freak out. I really did. Christopher called the taxi service while I walked into McDonald's and starting begging people to drive me to my interview. I chose a nice-looking woman first who just replied coldly, "I'm on my lunch break. I don't have time." Everyone around me overheard and shook their heads when I looked at them. Most refused to even make eye contact. I was shocked that they didn't even have any sympathy in their eyes!
Here I was...new black tights, heels, black pencil skirt, ironed blazer and a 10-pound portfolio binder in my hands. But instead of a desperate young, professional...I felt like one of those shoeless, homeless performers on the subway in Europe, begging for a miracle from a bunch of non-interested, selfish, heartless people.
I was really trying not to freak out. But I did. The tears flowed no matter how badly I didn't want them to. When I walked back outside, I saw Christopher running around to the idling lines of cars in the drive-thru. Most people wouldn't even roll down their windows. He looked over at me and said the taxi service couldn't get here in time.
That's when I really lost it. Our car had been reliable for more than a year... we had just driven several hundred miles from Connecticut with no problems whatsoever. Now the ONE time that I CANNOT be late... the car doesn't even ATTEMPT to start. Why? Why? Why!
Amidst my "woe-is-me" breakdown, I heard Christopher shout for me to quickly come. I ran over to a bright red car, hopped in, looked over to the passenger seat and this is who I saw:
Ok, not really Snoop Dog. But he looked JUST like him. I know my parents taught me never to get in a car with a stranger...but at this point, I really didn't care who I was riding with, as long as I made it to my interview. After cutting off several cars and running a few red lights, our new friend became my hero. I was even 5 minutes early to my interview. Not only did he drive us back and forth, he also helped Christopher temporarily fix the car (by whacking the ignition), so thankfully we weren't stuck in Cleveland for the night. We paid him $30 and were SO grateful he helped us out in our desperate time of need.
Despite the fact that he was both smoking weed and drinking a 40oz. beer while driving - I really think he was a blessing in disguise. Looking back on this day, I learned several lessons.
1. If your dad offers to let you take his new car to an interview... accept!
2. If you have an old car... never trust it.
3. Always have cash (in multiple bills) in case you need to bribe people.
4. Life is unpredictable.
5. Freaking out and crying only makes things worse.
6. Persistence will pay off.
7. When seeking help, don't always judge people by their looks... you never know who might be the angel God has sent you.

No comments:
Post a Comment