Monday, May 24, 2010

Learning from Trash

While at work something popped into my mind. You can learn a lot about someone by looking in his or her trashcan. This may be a strange thought... but I continued to think about it.

In mine, you'd often find a diet pop can, empty Crystal Light packets, Mint Milkyway wrappers, granola bar wrappers, pink & orange Starburst wrappers, a banana peel, an apple core... the controversial combination of someone who tries to be healthy, but still has a sweet tooth. You would also find my habit of chewing gum and reveal the fact that I do not recycle pop cans...or paper. Yes I know, shame on me.

Then at times you may be able to look deeper - finding old receipts from Kohl's, Subway, Jo-Ann Fabric, Nordstrom Rack and the thrift store. Then you see the hot pink post-it note, with a To-Do list for this week, this month, and the next 5 years of my life, then a grocery list and eventually a list of possible boy names and girl names of my future children.

On occasion, you may find a poem scribbled on some scrap paper, or quotes from a song heard on Pandora radio. You read:

"Get caught in the race
Of this crazy life
Tryin' to be everything can make you lose your mind
I just wanna go back in time
To American honey, yea."

Trash cans are a great way to get to know someone on a whole new level... too bad I'd have to dig through trash to do it. Gross. I think I'll stick to Facebook stalking instead.

3 comments:

  1. haha! loved this! very insightful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was very revealing.. I love your posts!! You're so much fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my trash can:

    1. Three diet coke with lime cans.
    2. Starburst wrappers (Red, oraange, pink, yellow).
    3. Scraps of paper from making bridal shower invitations this weekend.
    4. An old To Do list with lots of homework and crafts.
    5. An apple core and an empty lunch meat container.
    6. A water bottle.


    I think this is even more confirmation that we are basically the same person!

    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete