I have grown up with many wonderful, motherly examples in my life. I am grateful that I have so many women to learn from and look up to. This is going to be a long one...but they all deserve it :) So here is a tribute to the many "mothers" in my life.Mommy
My mother is the greatest example of sacrifice. When she was pregnant with me, she had many complications and we are both lucky to be alive and healthy. She always puts her 7 children, 6 step-children, and 43(?) grandchildren before herself. She taught me to be grateful for everything, to always try my hardest and to be myself, instead of following the crowd. I'm lucky to have such a good relationship with my mother. I know I can call her whenever I need to, and she always finds special ways to let me know she's thinking of me - like sending a newspaper article I'd like, or a cute picture message of my nieces and nephews. One quality she helped me develop is always being nice to others, even when they don't deserve it. She helped me become the person I am today.
Miriam (Christopher's mother) Taught me about courage and strength. She got married at 19 and moved from Germany to the United States, where she raised 5 children. Her parents and siblings were a whole ocean away and she moved somewhere completely new and foreign. I admire her so much. She also makes really good homemade bagels and German food!
Grandma Hansen

I think I inherited a lot of my creativity from my amazing grandmother. She can paint beautifully and taught herself how to play the piano. Her story always inspires me to be thankful and remain optimistic. She grew up in an orphanage and her trail of unfortunate events is depressing just to read about. Somehow, she still manages to remain upbeat, happy and finds strength in God, even when her husband Art recently passed away. She's a beacon of hope.
Grandma Jean


I have a special relationship with Grandma Jeanie because she lived with my family for awhile when I was growing up. She is supportive of my dreams and has always shown me unconditional love. I remember she even did the dishes for me when it was supposed to be my turn. That meant the world to me :) And she lived in Arizona during the winters and when we visited she let us go to the pool all day long. She makes the best raspberry pretzel dessert and always brings my favorite pumpkin roll to Thanksgiving dinner. Just hearing her sweet voice or getting a hug from her makes everything feel better.
Oma
(Christopher's Grandmother) She is such a sweetheart! She traveled all the way from Germany for our wedding, even though she doesn't like flying. She has such a compassionate, loving personality and is always thinking of others. I can tell just by talking to her that she really cares about me, even though we only met less than 2 years ago. She also sends us the BEST chocolate every year for Christmas. We try to savor it all year long :)
(Christopher's Grandmother) She is such a sweetheart! She traveled all the way from Germany for our wedding, even though she doesn't like flying. She has such a compassionate, loving personality and is always thinking of others. I can tell just by talking to her that she really cares about me, even though we only met less than 2 years ago. She also sends us the BEST chocolate every year for Christmas. We try to savor it all year long :)
My older sisters...
Cheryl
She has such a great sense of humor. She's always smiling and happy. I love that about her! And when we're together, I can always count on Subway, Auntie Anne's pretzels or a large soda. She plans the best Jazz dinner dances for her husband's band, and also runs the Homer Community Theater. She's an amazing director and should probably be famous. She's my oldest sister and she's always so fun to be with because she makes everyone feel like they're important and her best friend.Marnie 

Is extremely selfless and always thinking of others. She has always been a hard worker, but still finds time to be an amazing mother, sister, and friend. Whenever I visited her, I got to play on the farm with my nephew Jake. I always felt like she trusted us, but was still there if we ever needed anything (like mac n' cheese or a trip to McDonald's). She helps plan the family events and can always be found behind the scene, never taking credit for anything. She is a genuine example of unconditional, sacrificial love. If I ever need anything, I know she's always there.
Ever since she got married, she wanted to have children. She is such a great example of a mother who nurtures and cares for her kids. She was blessed with triplets and then a baby boy shortly after. She took on this challenge with courage and faith. I was able to help her take care of her tiny, premie triplet babies, which was quite the adventure. I love going shopping with her, even if it's just to OshKosh or the Children's Place. Even though we're 10 years apart, I feel like she's my best friend I could talk to about anything. Her patience, stress-free attitude and sense of humor are qualities I hope to develop when I'm a mother someday.
Monica
Although she is more like a best friend, than a mother, she has always been an amazing woman that I've looked to for advice and comfort. She is about 7 months pregnant right now with her first child, a baby girl. I've always known she would make an amazing mother. She works the night shift at a children's hospital and cares for children with cancer. Most people would hate this job and find it depressing. But Monica develops a love for each child, and finds a way to learn something from them. Whether it's hope, optimism, gratitude...she always has something profound to share. She is an angel to those children, just like she is to me. My sister-in-laws...
Heidi

The mother of TEN children. Yes, she birthed all of them and the oldest is 19. A stay-at-home mom is definitely a full-time job at her house! I admire her so much for raising and caring for her children for all these years. I know she is a hard worker and even finds time to garden. When we visited them at their home in Illinois, they gave us the best canned green beans.
Amy

She always finds a way to make me feel better about myself, and genuinely seems interested in how I am and what's going on in my life. Many summers, I got to stay at her house for a week and play with my nieces Carly and Keely. She made us our favorite foods, let us have popsicles, and took us swimming and to Camp Invention.Her sweet personality and loving smile make me happy just to be around her.
Chris

She is so fun to be around and makes me laugh. Even though I don't get to see her very often (because she lives in Indiana) she is a wonderful example of motherly love. Her kids are sweet and well-behaved, and I always love being around them. She also works really hard at her job, and has funny stories to share. I look forward to our conversations and time spent together.
Gina

My little girl relationship didn't begin on the best note with her, because I was jealous. Strangely, ever since I can remember, I had a crush on my brother Ben and thought I could marry him. So when Gina came along, I didn't really like her. (haha, don't worry... I slowly realized brothers are off limits & I'd rather marry my neighbor anyways) But once I got past that, I grew to love Gina in so many ways. I admire her so much because she always speaks her mind. She is honest and hilarious, especially when she tells stories. She always makes me laugh and makes me feel comfortable around her. And she is AMAZING at decorating and sewing. Her house looks like it was designed & decorated professionaly. She's always a fun adventure, and I love that.
Becky

She has a special place, because without her, I never would have known about Utah State, never would have come here and never would have met my husband! She is so thoughtful, patient and understanding. I love being around her, because I feel like we've always been family. She even lets my brother dress all her kids in Ohio State and "brainwash" them. My nephew Isaiah refuses to wear anything Utah State and won't even say "Go Aggies!" haha, they are so funny. She is a strong person, and has such amazing faith and hope that I admire.
Mindy

She is such a great example of finding things she loves and doing them. Whether it's scrapbooking, Relay for Life, Longaberger basket parties or her new job as a real estate agent, she's always busy and happy. I love spending time with her and hearing about her projects. She's also a great teacher. Her kids are so smart and loving. Being around her makes me happy and helps inspire me to follow my heart.
Jenny

I've grown up with Jenny, almost like a sister. When I was in elementary school, my brother Nate was in highschool and she was his girlfriend. We would watch his basketball games, and football games together, and I always looked up to her. My favorite was when she would bring me a McDonald's cake for my birthday, those were the best. The summer after I graduated, I was a nanny for her 2 kids. It was so fun to live with her, and she always made me feel at home. I admire her for many reasons, but love how she is so organized! Whether it's scrapbooking, movies, games, or toys for the kids, I always knew where to find things. She's also great at time scheduling and event planning. She taught me a lot about how to be an amazing mother and put your kids first, and still fulfill other responsibilities on the side.
-----
So I know this post was REALLY long. But basically, I just wanted to thank all the "mothers" in my life for everything they have done for me. I admire each of them, and wish I could develop all of their qualities and be a super mom some day. Although that will never happen... I have learned so much from them that I know will help me with my future family.
In honor of all the mothers who have influenced me (my family and also many mothers who haven't mentioned)...
Thank You & HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

Natalie -
ReplyDeleteYOU are so amazing. What a beautiful post! I love they way you are able to see into the soul and beauty of everyone around you. You help people to know who they are, and you inspire people. You are such a wonderful sister and from what I can see so far... I think you will definitely be a super mom someday. Love you tons.
Moni
Wow! I read this for the very first time. What a sweet dear tribute to all the women in our amazing family! Thank you for your wonderful outlook on life, and for setting an example of love and acceptance. We can all learn from you!
ReplyDelete