Saturday, May 15, 2010

New Hobby

I've always LOVED photography. Ever since I can remember, I always wanted to take pictures (and be in them). Back in the days before digital cameras-- haha, wow I feel old -- my mom would get upset with me for taking so many pictures. Every time I asked, she would say, "Just take a picture with your heart, honey." I would get so mad. Then my dad would sit me down and say, "Don't you realize how much money this costs? If you calculate the price of film plus the price to print the picture, it costs almost 40 cents every time you push that button!"
In high school, I took several photography classes and Mr. Martin my teacher was the greatest. He taught us about f-stops, lighting, the rule of thirds and developing. The dark room was always a fun surprise, watching your picture slowly appear. To me, it was magical.

Now I finally have my very own digital SLR camera. After much deliberation, I decided on a Nikon. I have really enjoyed taking pictures, although I was frustrated to find that I actually had to study and learn to figure out how to use it. I'm also taking a photography class once a week, and I've learned so much already.

Photography delights me and I love it. I know there are a million amazing photographers, so I'll probably never be famous or make much money doing it. But taking pictures makes me happy...and that's good enough for me :)

Here are a few of my favorites so far:












I feel like I should start a specific photography blog, Facebook page and Web site. But I'm stuck on what to call myself. I was hoping for n-joy photography...but there is already a girl, first name: Natalie, middle name: Joy who figured out that she could call herself n-joy, and she's a really great photographer. So I need to come up with something new, more original than Natalie Curtis Photography...that sounds too boring. Anyways, if anyone has any ideas - please let me know! Also, I've even been teaching Chris a few things and he took some really cute pictures of me :)


The camera was definitely a great investment and I'm so excited to learn more!!

1 comment:

  1. You are an aewsome photographer. I love photography too, but I am just starting to get into it. I's love to take a clas like your taking... Maybe I'll see if there are any near me:)

    ReplyDelete